The breaking news

Just a normal day in Zareena's house, where her mother is in the kitchen, preparing lunch for the day when she suddenly hears the telephone ringing.

She shouts over to Rubina, "pick up the phone! It's been ringing for so long. I'm in the kitchen!"

Rubina rushes to the phone and answers casually, "hello?"

"Excuse me, Is this Zareena Rehaans house?"

"Yes... Why?" Asks Rubina, her confusion rising.

"We're from the hospital..."

A beat. 

"and, we're very sorry to break this to you." The person on the phone takes a deep breathe. 

"Wha-" before she could say anything, the woman continues.

"Zareena got shot a few minutes ag-"

"What?!" Rubina now exclaims loudly, unable to take all that in.
She gulps loudly, bile rising in her throat.

"What are you talking about? WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?" Rubina practically shouts in disbelief, her insides suddenly shattering into pieces, bringing the whole house towards her.

"I'm really sorry, sh-she got shot while arriving at the hospital, she is in coma at the moment, we're trying our best to save her, but it's very critical.."

And with that Rubina hangs the phone, crying.

Her mother enters the room first, running towards Rubina's earsplitting scream. Everyone gathers around her, they all look pale, and are tensed at Rubina's sight who's unable to speak at all, and is just crying.

On seeing her mother, Rubina rushes in an embrace and weeps uncontrollably, startling her.

"What happened!? Who called? And why are you crying?" Demands her mother with a panic stricken face.

"It's from the hospital where Zareena works-" Rubina tries to speak but her voice breaks.

"What happened? Is Zareena alright?" Her mother is now practically shouting.

Rubina, who is unable to speak shakes her head.

"No-" her voice weakens, but finally speaks.

"Zareena got shot, she's in coma right now." After saying this, Rubina gasps for breathe and starts crying again. 

Her mother covers her mouth in shock.

The whole room is stupefied. An inexplicable silence where everyone's heart beat can be heard as every second passes. Zareena's father exits the room immediately on hearing this. Her mother screams and runs towards him, and the whole family rushes to the hospital where she is being treated.

The news of Zareena being shot spreads rapidly through out Badin, local news channels arrive at the place, bringing more attention.

After a while, every national news channel starts broadcasting the news of a doctor being shot in the outskirts, a small hospital a little far away from Badin.

Rubina walks inside the hospital unable to hold her tears at the site in front of the gate. Blood was splattered on the ground, police was all around the area, media and news channels were having wide coverage and the local people were confused, wondering what had happened. It was like a nightmare to her, a dream that she was dying to wake up from but was unable to.

She walks inside the emergency room and waits impatiently, the nurse comes out with an old doctor beside her,

"We've successfully taken the bullets out except for the one that is close to her brain as we don't have any neurosurgeons here and it is quite complicated. We've to wait for sometime till we can reach someone, she still hasn't gained consciousness, so we're shifting her to the ICU. We can't say anything more as of now, she's in a very critical condition."