The land mafias

**authors note- For people who don't know what land mafia is :- http://www.dawn.com/news/738740/what-is-land-mafia-2 ...... they are criminals who occupy lands illegally, sometime with the help of political parties.**

She seats herself in her office room and glances at the small TV, resting for a while after a tiring surgery. When suddenly, out of nowhere she hears a loud bang on her door and three eerie men walk inside her room uninvited, the nurse beside them, shaking with fear.

One of the masked man shouts over, "are you Zareena?"

Zareena stands up, shocked by the sudden commotion. The nurse starts crying.

"Yes?" She asks them in confusion.

"We've been sent here to tell you one last time, hand over the land to us by the end of this week, and if we still see any constructions on that land, you will then face horrible circumstances." He says while landing a fist on the table, making her table shudder, but not her.

 She stands firm, and confronts them, "tell this to whoever sent you- I won't give you filthy land mafias even a piece of that land, you will see a hospital built there (in shaa Allah)." 

"Do you even know what you're talking about girl?" Sneers the man with bloodshot eyes.

"You're messing with the wrong people." Adds another guy from behind.

"Now you'll see what'll happen." They leave the room after this warning, while Zareena calms the nurse who was now weeping uncontrollably.

"Doctor, please don't get into a fight with these people, they are horrible. Just give them whatever they want." Says the nurse still shaking.

"I'm sorry but I'm anything but a coward, and these threats won't weaken me, a hospital will be built in Badin, and I will make it."

Zareena approaches her family and finally tells them about the threats she has been getting...

Initially, her dad isn't able to say anything because her mom starts crying in anger, "Zareena! It's final, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WORK ANYMORE."

"But mo-"

"No! I don't want to hear anything; do you think this is a joke? You don't know the people here, they will kill you! It's just a piece of land and you're ready to die for it? I'm telling you again, you will not go anywhere now. Am I clear?"

"But I studied for so long and I'm close to start constructing-"

"Zareena haven't you heard me? You will not go there! And your hospital dream would never be fulfilled, it will take ages! Are you willing to bare the threats for that long?"

"Hamna calm down." Her dad tries to calm Zareena's mother who was now losing her temper.

"This is final, Zareena you will not go there, if you do, you will go over my dead body."

"But Mom?" Zareena is unable to speak and her eyes shimmer with tears.

"Yes, promise me you won't go there."

"Hamna please calm down, Rubina get her water." Her dad motions to her sister Rubina who's sitting there in shock.

"But I've studied so hard the past years and I'm so close to achieving my goal. Please let me do this, I beg of you, I'm ready to marry whoever you want mom, please let me do this for some more time."

"Zareena why don't you get it? I can't let you go there, not after I know they're threatening you."

"I'm earning money for the family, I even got promoted, I'm saving lives, please just let me do this a little longer, please! -" Zareena's voice breaks, and tears come trickling down her cheek.