Chapter 18

It's been about 3 weeks I should say. We were on the plane on a Friday so I have been trying to keep up the days. We found a river on the island along with some fruit, bananas, berries and some fruit I've never heard of but it's delicious.

We built a shelter and have come to the facts that no one is coming for us, if they were, they would be here by now.

Everyone has been okay, well most of us. One of the people on the plane, Aris, went into shock and she barley made it out alive.

Hunter has been in stable condition and is able to walk and do things to help us survive.

Right now Weston and I are gathering food. Trees surround me and the sound of the wind and waves crashing soothes me.

I pick up some of the bananas that fell off of the tree and put them into a basket that Caroline made out of vines. I've leaned to not take anything for granted anymore.

We have used all of our available resources just so we could survive, and half of us aren't doing that. I mean, we are surviving as best as we can but we aren't surviving.

Inside we are dying. The thoughts of what's going to happen next and if we will be on this island forever had literally rotted into our body's and killed us.

I guess that might sound crazy. Buts it's normal now. Who would have thought?

Crazy: the new normal (aye 5th wave reference)

Then the wind picks up, trees are swaying faster and faster back and fourth. There's a rumble in the sky but no dark clouds.

It's not a storm. Then what is it?

"LEX HURRY" Weston shouts. I drop the fruit and quickly follow Weston back to the beach.

When my feet hit the hot sand I stop running. "W-Weston wh-" then the sky rumbles again, louder this time.

It kind of sounds like a helicopter? I look up into the bright blue sky. I fall to my knees and start to cry when I see it.

A big, black, metal, loud noise making HELICOPTER. They came. They actually came. "WERE SAVED!" I yell as the helicopter lands onto the sand.

I run up to Weston and wrap my legs around his waist and give him a big kiss. "I love you so freaking much" I say before kissing him again.

"I love you too" he says. I jump down and go get with the other survivors. But my legs wouldn't go. As much as I pushed them to go, they wouldn't. It's like they stopped working.

My head went blank and I couldn't see anything, it was all blurry. The island started spinning, faster and faster.

The last words I hear are "LEXI NO" then I fall to the ground.

*2 days later*

•Weston's POV•
"I'm sorry sir, she suffered severe brain damage and a very high rate of infection from the river water."

The doctor says looking at his charts. My eyes tired from crying the past 2 days, my throat dry and my mouth felt like nothing would come out.

I couldn't speak. I was left dumbfounded on the hospital floor beside of my love, Lexi's bed.

My hand squeezed tightly into hers, maybe if I squeeze hard enough the life will come back to her.