1. They don't like my hair

I watched as he ran with the basket ball bouncing on the gym floor. With a wide smile, I cheered for him. I raised my hands shouting. Not for him actually. After all, my best friend was deaf. Everyone around me joined in and started hollering. He smiled when he turned and saw everyone cheering for him. Though he couldn't hear them, he still appreciated it.

"You okay?" I asked before patting a towel on his forehead. He scrunched his nose up in distaste, squirming away. "I am, stop it." He playfully smacks my hand.

I rolled my eyes and tossed the towel in the pile of dirty towels to the corner. Austin and I have been friends since preschool. Because of an accident, he lost his hearing. He can speak. He just chooses not to. I can't blame him though. It takes a lot of courage for him to talk in front of people. I'm lucky enough to be one of those people he trusts.

Ruffling his sweat filled hair, I grimaced and patted it on his jersey. That too was sweaty. His laughter consisting of deep and raspy tone made the sides of my lips tug up. I smiled, and he returned one of his sweet ones. I've always loved his laugh, his voice, and his smile. I even find his pouts cute.

I'm in love with my silent best friend.

"So, what do you want to eat?" I spoke with my face turned to him so he could read my lips. When we first met, Austin shut himself away from everyone. He thought of himself as a lost cause. But I didn't let that happen. I learned sign language as soon as I could and befriended him that way. Years passed with us becoming closer, with me helping him along the way as he learned to adapt to his loss of hearing.

"Pancakes," he blurted out. I shook my head laughing with him. "It's 2 PM. Are you sure?" His head shook up and down like a bobble head. Pleading me with his puppy eyes. I sighed, "Pancakes it is."

"Love you Em," he kisses my cheek and leaned back in his seat. I felt my cheeks heat up. I hit his arm repeatedly, trying not to show my blush. His laughter, as well as mine, filled the car. We listened to the music on the radio the whole ride to the restaurant. He felt the vibrations on the speaker, while I enjoyed being able to sing without being heard. You see, I'm not the best singer. But that never stops me.

"I wish I could hear you," Austin said with a hushed voice. I paused from singing to face him. His deep moss green eyes studying every inch of my face. I held his wrist, and pulled it over to press it against my throat. He kept it there while I sang a simple song. His favorite lullaby that his mom taught me when we were little.

Tears pricked his eyes. With a sad smile, he pulled his hand away so he could tug on his hair. He ran his hang through his hair in frustration. I felt myself beginning to feel frustrated like him too.

Not at him, but at his tendency of not seeing his self worth. Austin was by far the sweetest guy I've ever met. He's kind, compassionate and very patient with someone like me. We're pretty much opposites, but we still get along.

"Don't do that," I intertwined my fingers with his. While keeping a hold of the steering wheel with my other hand. With a stiff nod, he held my hand as he absentmindedly watched us zoom past the street. I nudged his shoulder lightly, "It's my treat. Let's go." He then went back to smiling like a child at a toy store. His eyes glistening with sheer happiness as he dragged me over to the restaurant with a wide smile.

"Table for two?" The waiter greets us with the question right when we walk in. Having read his lips, Austin nods with the smile glued to his face. Another thing that we had in common was that we love food. The waiter ushered us over to a booth that could seat four. I sat on one side while Austin sat opposite.

"How was basketball practice?" I signed to him. He shrugged, "Tiring. But Jessica was there." I felt my heart take a hit when he smiled at the thought of her. But having been there for him through all these years, I kept my face the way it always is. Positive. I had to be. Austin has been there for me through literally everything. And nothing, even no one, could ever replace him. I can't be selfish enough to keep him from being happy.