Michael's Memory Lane

I didn't even realize how hungry I was until I come up for air after killing off my second bowl of food. It isn't the best food, but it's far better than what I'm used to. I look up from finishing to see Jean and her friend Nate staring at me, their plates still half way full with food.

"What?"

Nate is the first to recover, but only shook his head with what I can only assume is disgust. Jean recovers soon after and speaks.

"How?"

I shrug at her, I didn't have a lot of lessons in table manners.

"I open my mouth, put food in, chew, and swallow."

Nate stifles a laugh and I shoot him a glare, he ignores me.

"I mean how can you eat that fast and not get sick? And why on Earth would you need to eat like that?"

The question hits me like a bus, and I'm not even ready to answer her back. Do I keep my façade of being a normal kid, open up, or do I keep stonewalling? Nate excuses himself, seeing that he is not included with the conversation, leaving me alone with Jean. I look around before leaning forward, closer to Jean.

"Where I grew up, if you didn't eat fast, you didn't eat at all. School proportions were horrible and a lot of us couldn't afford to buy extra food, including bullies. The bullies would get to the front of the line and eat their food quickly, then prowl for other people's food."

I pause to let the information sink into Jean's mind before continuing.

"I was a frequent victim for the bullies, so I had to teach myself how to quickly eat, to ignore manners. One day I put a few of the bullies in the hospital and they never bothered me again, but the habit remians."

I look down, disgusted with myself. Before Jean has a chance to say anything, I quickly pick up my bowls and take them to the dishwasher before scurrying off to outside. I feel eyes watching me, but I don't care. I'm more upset with myself; what the hell was I doing opening up to a woman I don't know, a woman that broke into my room to say the least! I sprint down the sidewalk straight to Jackson Hall, not even looking up to acknowledge anybody. I open my door and close it behind me, sliding down to the floor and holding my head in my hands. Soon after, I hear a knock on my door.

"Michael? It's Jean."

How the hell did she get here so fast? I sprinted as fast as I could here, but she doesn't even sound winded.

"Can I come in?"

Really? What can she possibly want with me? It's obvious that she has no shortage of friends or subjects.

"And if I say no? What then? You gonna have one of your R.A. buddies let you in?"

"No, I'd just leave your backpack out here for you."

Fuck. I completely forgot about my backpack. I sigh and decide to open the door to let her in, after all, she did bring me my backpack when she could've left it. As I open the door, Jean enters with my backpack, but also with another bag over her shoulder, like a lacrosse bag. I take my bag as Jean hands it to me, putting it down next to my desk. I look down at her feet, still mad at myself. I'm a disgusting creature, friendless and unsociable. Then, I feel Jean's hand lightly touch my cheek; I'm surprised how soft her hand is. Her hand guides my head up to over where my eyes meet hers. I find myself unable to move as I stare into her dark brown eyes. In this moment, it feels like I'm being tied to her, our fates forever intertwined. Whether she knows it or not, I'm going to protect her with my life. I can't explain why I feel like this out of nowhere, but I just know it is my duty to protect her, Princess or not, I will protect her. I didn't even notice her move her bag from her shoulder to the ground.

"Forgive me, Michael."

Before I can ask what she is apologizing about, she tackles me to the ground; so much strength from a woman smaller than me! The brief second I have to get my focus back, I catch a glimpse of Jean's eyes turning red and fangs elongate from her mouth. Holy shit! I only have time to breathe a single word before she covers my mouth.

"Vampire-"

Jean throws her head down and I feel her sharp fangs pierce the skin of my neck. The dull burning feeling is all I can feel as it makes its way from my neck to the rest of my body. Jean continues to hold me down as my body involuntary arcs underneath her, pressing against her body. Why is this happening to me? I just got the chance to start a new life after being told I was gonna be okay without another open heart surgery, and then this? Vampires are supposed to be just scary stories and legends, but now I find out they're real? Worse yet, I'm gonna die by the hands, or fangs rather, of one of them. My mind goes blank as I feel the heat fade and coldness welcoming me with icy arms. My vision darkens as I look up at my bloody assassin, licking her lips clean as my vision goes black.

Why...? Why me... why now...?

A/N: Ouch... Sucks to be Michael right now. Obviously it can't end there; we just got to know him, and we hardly know anything about this Gabriel guy. Michael's past will be brought up in the upcoming chapters, and maybe Gabriel's too. Word of warning if it's not obvious enough, neither of their pasts are very happy. Do you think Michael is going to open up again so easily? And what's in that lacrosse bag Jean has? Only one way to find out...