7

-2013-

"You're so damn stupid!" Jane yelled hitting Michael as he backed away from her. "Don't back away. Be a man and stop being a coward."

"Jane, please stop. You're high probably drunk too." Michael quickly said covering his face with his hands.

"You little asshole! Why did you do that! I saw you with her! Why are you cheating on me!" Jane screamed at the top of her lungs hitting Michael's torso.

"What girl?" Michael yelled over her rambling.

"Catilin!" She screamed over and over as she continued punching Michael's chest.

Michael finally caught Jane's hands in his and held them tight so she couldn't pull free. "Stop or I'll call the cops on you again. If I do that they'll charge you for a third offense of domestic violence."

Jane stepped backward. "Screw your ass." She said under her breath as she walked away from him.

Michael stood his back still against the wall staring at her walk down the hallway to the room they shared together. He thought about what Jane had been like before the heroine. She was happy, clear minded, and she had love for Michael unlike she had now.

He looked around the apartment they shared, her needles and bottles scattered across the floor and table. He closed his eyes and as he did he could feel the warm tears falling from his cold eyes.

She'll be in big trouble sooner or later. And she'll drag you with her. That's what Luke had told Michael when she had first started doing drugs.

He was now slowly starting to believe Luke.

Jane was becoming a burden. Michael hated to call her that, but she was. He paid for everything, even without knowing. She stole money from while he was asleep or while he was in the shower, basically when ever Michael didn't have consent in giving her the money.

Michael wiped away the tears that were still falling from his eyes, then walking towards the door. He placed his hand on the door knob, debating whether or not to leave her in the state she was in.

He had a feeling in his gut that was telling him he may never see her again. Yet, he didn't seem to acknowledge that feeling and so he left without saying goodbye.

-

"So, you just left her?" Luke said as he paced around the living room of his small apartment.

"I had no other choice! I wasn't staying there!" Michael yelled, his hand shaking as he spoke. "I mean look at my face."  As Michael talked it seemed to be as though every muscle in his face hurt.

"Well, you have a black eye." Luke said walking into the kitchen and grabbing Michael an ice pack.

Michael gave him a weak smile as he took the ice pack from Luke's hand.

"But I mean you left her there. Alone. High." Luke seemed more concerned about Jane than he ever had. "How do you know she's not going to shoot up again?"

Michael looked down. "She doesn't have any and doesn't have any money."

"Well, where did she get the money before?"

"Me." Michael said quietly.

"You gave her money to buy heroine!"

"She took it from me without me knowing! Luke, I have to count my money before I go to bed and in the morning to know how much she took from me! So far in the last month she's taken about $200 dollars from me." Michael threw the ice pack down in frustration. "Why the hell do you think I'm broke and asking you for money to help me through the goddamn week!"

Luke looked down. "We should check on her at least." Michael nodded in response.

-

The bad feeling Michael had before came back as Luke drove to the other apartment complex.

"Do you think she's okay? Do you think she's gone? Do you think she went out to find some more? Do you think-" Michael was spitting out questions as quick as he could think them until he was cut off by Luke.

"Michael, she's fine. You wouldn't be like this if you didn't leave her alone." Luke said trying to comfort Michael, which he really wasn't.

Once they pulled up to the apartment Michael pushed open the door to the car before it had pulled to a complete stop. He ran to the door and up two stair wells to reach their apartment, Luke following close behind him.

Michael dug through his pockets trying to find the key. As he tried to put the key in the lock his hand shook with fear of what might be behind the door.

"Let me do it." Luke said taking the key from the other boys hand.

Michael ran in as soon as the door has opened. "Jane!" He called out. "Jane!"

She wasn't in the living room and wasn't responding.

Michael ran to the back of apartment to the bathroom. She wasn't there.

He then went to the bedroom.

She was there. Yet, at the same time she was gone.

Needles surrounded her. Michael's eyes swelled with tears.

"Should I call someone?" Luke said from behind Michael. 

Michael slowly shook his head. "She's gone. It's no use."

All he could think of was how he never said goodbye.

Note: sorry for the tragic part.

I'm also sorry if this story is unsettling for you, by the mentions and uses of drugs/alcohol. I'm just trying to show you that this is what people go through. I hope you understand that I'm trying to tell something that is truly happening, just in a fanfic way.

All the love- H