6

"Michael, why don't you stay home today and help out around the house." Karen said standing in the doorway to her son's room.

Michael sat on his bed his bare back facing his mother. "Mom, I'm just meeting with a friend." He said reaching for his shirt that was under his pillow.

"I just-" she began to say.

"Don't trust me?" Michael said standing up to face her.

"No, baby I trust you. I just don't want you to drink again." She walked up to her son and placed her hand on his shoulder. "I just don't want you to get hurt."

"Mom, I'm fine. I can go out without drinking. I promise." He said moving his mother's hand off his shoulder. "I'll be back before you know it."

Michael pushed past her walking to his closet in the corner of the room. "Michael," she said softly. "Please promise me you won't do anything."

He turned to her again. "Mom, I promise I won't do anything. Just let me get ready okay?"

Karen nodded slowly her face tense as she walked out of the room.

Michael stood his hand on the doorknob to the closet. He rested his head against the door. He reached for his phone, only to unlock it and see that he had a missed call from Luke.

Michael walked back to his bed and sat his phone in hand. He thought of calling Luke back and possibly asking him to go someplace with him. Yet, Michael didn't know how Luke would take it since whenever Michael asked Luke to do something he was drunk.

Yet, he called him.

"Hello?" Luke spoke on the other line.

"Hey!" Michael said cheerfully. "I was wondering if you uh wanted to go for coffee or something."

"Is this a joke?" Luke responded.

"No. I'm just guy asking his friend to coffee."

"Michael, whenever you do this you're drunk. Don't tell me you're-"

"Why does everyone assume that?" Michael could feel his anger rising.

"It's just a reoccurring thing, Michael. That's why." Luke said.

"Do you want to go for coffee or not?" Michael said. "I have other people to go with, but I don't think you'd want me to go anywhere with them."

There was a long pause before Luke had said anything. "Fine, I'll pick you up at your house at 9:30." Luke finally said.

"Alright then." Michael said smiling. "It'll be like good ole times."

Luke didn't respond. All he did was hang up.

-

"So," Michael spoke breaking the silence between he and Luke.

"So? What?" Luke said back.

"So, how's everyone been? I mean I haven't seen your parents or brothers in awhile. How are they?"

"They're all fine." Luke said taking a sip of his coffee and then crossing his arms over his chest.

"Ben out of uni?" Michael asked.

"Where have you been? He's  been out for two years Michael." Luke looked at Michael. "Was your drinking really that bad that you can't remember going to Ben's graduation?"

"How the hell did I know that would come up?" Michael slammed his hand on the table causing the things on it to rattle. "I want one, just one, conversation that doesn't mention my alcoholism."

"Oh, well I'm sorry there's no other topic." Luke snapped. "I mean that's all I've been talking about for the past three or four years. I've been talking about you and your problem."

"I didn't make you talk about that. You chose to do that."

"No, you did make me." Luke said back. "When we had that apartment together and you would stay out to 3 maybe 4 in the morning that's all I would talk about. I would talk about it to people who cared about you. Calum, your mom, my parents, even Jane." 

Michael flinched at her name.

"I told you never to bring her up again." Michael said his hand tightening to a fist.

"Jane. Jane. Jane." Luke said over and over.

Michael stood up, causing the metal chair to topple over making a loud bang. People looked over. Michael looked at all of them.

"Sorry to end the show so soon everyone." He announced as he walked away from Luke.

What Luke never understood was that Jane was the reason for Michael's drinking. She was the reason for everything that happened to him. She was just a bad mark that need to be lifted for the world.

Note: this part wasn't not very good...

Please leave your opinions on this. I really appreciate them.

All the love- H