Chapter 9: Blindside

The next few days after Aang's dismantling of the tunnels breezed by rapidly. Word had gotten around the world about Yu Dao and how the avatar had discovered the so-called "Black Lotus Society". Word had also gotten out that among the wreckage, neither Long Feng nor Azula was found, causing Aang's paranoia to skyrocket. He began to spend most of his time studying different complex forms for both earthbending and firebending to parry multiple different attacks from Long Feng or Azula in the future. Outside of the news that Azula and Long Geng had escaped, there was other news that continued to eat at the Avatar about the explosions that he set off. No one had been killed by the blasts, luckily, but there were mass amounts of injuries that set Aang behind emotionally. He was supposed to be the protector of not only nature but the people that inhabited this planet and he figured that the other avatars wouldn't be pleased with his actions.

"Aang you need to stop beating yourself up about this. Even Roku knew the consequences and ordered you to do this. Nothing against your own instincts Aang, but I feel like your past lives would know a thing or two about game planning." Sokka laid a hand on his shoulder as Aang continued to fight his own inner demon.

"And besides, you're the Avatar. People have to like you." Aang turned his head and cocked an eyebrow at Sokka, frowning as his gaze met Sokka's. It was clearly evident that there were people that definitely didn't like him. From the man in the small cape town village that Sokka helped during that dreadful storm a year ago to Azula, Long Feng, Ozai, the list continues on and on of people who didn't enjoy the Avatar's welcome to the world.

"Sokka, I understand you're trying to cheer me up, but I'm not in the mood." Sokka grinned at the back of Aang's head. Sokka's own boyish charm began to kick in as he continued to try and uplift his friend.

"Ok then," he started off in an upbeat tone.

"That's too bad Aang, I might have to send in Katara to make sure that you come back as you're old self." Aang gritted his teeth as his eyes shot wide. He whipped his entire body around as Sokka began to slowly walk out the door. Everyone knew Aang's weakness and everyone he faced took advantage of it, including Sokka.

"No Sokka! That won't be necessary." Aang's face was visibly beat red as he pulled on Sokka's shoulder, halting him from advancing any further. Sokka began to laugh heartily as he turned his back towards the door and back-peddled away whilst looking at Aang.

"Oh Aang, haven't you learned by now? After all of this time together you still never catch on. Katara... is already here, Aang." Sokka's smug smiled began to wear on Aang as he continued to grit his teeth, preventing him from smiling at the brave warrior. Aang shook his head and sighed deeply. Annoyed wasn't even a good enough adjective to describe Aang's mood towards Sokka and sure enough just as he left the doorway in came Katara. She was always worried about him, which he both loved and hated. His hatred manifested in the fact that she would either risk herself for him or just constantly have the need to put his needs ahead of her own. But on the flip side, he loved that she cared for him that much to want to do such a thing. Aang watched the figure in front of him enter the room worryingly. Her hair was down and straightened, glistening with droplets of water as if she had just bathed or practiced her waterbending. Either way, he found it extremely attractive.

"Aang you need to let this go. You've been beating yourself up over nothing that you could've controlled." Aang grimaced as he bit his tongue, attempting to hold back any words to no avail.

"But I could've Katara, I could've helped the fire from spreading! I could've evacuated people in Yu Dao, I could've done something! Anything! But I was a coward and fled before Azula and Long Feng could notice me." The room fell silent after Aang aired out all of his grievances that he was holding close to his chest. This mission that Roku had put him on was anything but easy, both mentally and physically.