Chapter 14: Myositis

The night had been achingly long for Aang as Katara attempted to get any sort of reading on his status. Katara had at least found out that their suspicions were correct as far as his lack of blood flow, however, she didn't know where the problem stemmed or how they could treat it. That night, she made sure to keep somewhat of a small gap between the two. Any sort of bump or pressure applied to his thighs would make them lock up, causing him to roll in agonizing pain. This caused Aang to sleep even worse than his current usual. Not only were his thighs on fire but now, Katara and him had zero contact. At one point, they literally laid back to back, Aang only to grip one of the furs around him for warmth. That also was something he hated. Throughout the night, even without contact, his legs would constrict violently as he would thrash around screaming for the pain to just go away. Katara would attempt to heal him in any way she could but he'd just brush it off as a cramp.

"Aang, I'm starting to think it's not 'just a cramp'," she said sarcastically. "You have to tell me when you're in pain so I can give you another healing session. It's the only possible way you are going to get any sort of healing done." Aang threw his head back in defeat as he stared at the ceiling.

"Okay," he whispered quietly. He felt defeated by giving in but he knew that she was doing nothing more than looking out for him. He could feel her flip around on the pallet before coming nose to nose with him. He looked into her eyes and relaxed, giving her consent to do whatever she pleased. She softly rubbed her nose against his, an act that he found both bizarre yet loving. His pale cheeks grew redder and redder as she continued to maintain the close proximity, not allowing him to even move a muscle as she looked down upon him.

"Oogies." Katara instinctively rammed her head down, only to headbutt Aang who was in the midst of belly laughing. He turned his head to the side, looking at Sokka who was actually smiling down at the two. Katara meanwhile kept her forehead against Aang's temple, her eyes still shut. She just wanted alone time with him, whether he was crippled or at one hundred percent. Aang was Aang, and she wanted him all to herself.

"Hey Sokka," Aang greeted warmly. Even though he had been an extremely difficult person to work with as of late, Sokka was happy to see Aang in somewhat better spirits. Sokka waved to him accordingly before inviting himself into the shelter that both Katara and Aang were inhabiting. He sat down criss-cross next to Aang as he laid out several maps detailing locations, star constellations, and weather patterns.

"Look, I know that you are going through some sort of injury right now but we need to have some sort of plan for Azula. Knowing her, she definitely made it out alive and I'd go ahead and assume Long Feng did as well since we didn't find a body amongst the Dai Li and rubble." Aang gritted his teeth as he refocused his vision towards the back of his eyelids. He had forgotten the countless lives lost amid his rage, however, now couldn't be the time to give in to the dark thoughts that closed in on his mind. Sokka continued to ramble on and on about whatever plan he had made the previous night, however, Aang paid him no attention. He would hear Katara respond and interject every once in a while and even at one point got up and looked over the maps with her brother, leaving Aang alone in his conscience. He had been taught over one hundred years ago that all life was sacred, and that you shouldn't take that for granted. So many families just lost one due to him. A life that they wouldn't even be able to say goodbye to, and on top of that, it was a life that had nothing but fear consuming them in their final moments. A death, that Aang wouldn't have even wished upon his worse enemies.

"Aang, you there buddy? Aang!" Aang shot up instantly, looking over to his right to see the brother and sister looking back at him worryingly. This was clearly not the boy they found in the iceberg over a year ago. The time that they had spent together had matured them so quickly that a piece of Aang seemed to be gone forever. He always had that boyish charm and giddy nature, but with all of the trauma that he had gone through at such a young age, it broke a piece of his childhood that he'd never get back. The same went for all of them, and that made them bond together even more. They could sense when one of them wasn't up to fight and they'd fill that void willingly. They were a team, and nothing would ever drive them apart. They would be in it together, until the very last breath.