Chapter 14: 5-O

8th period went pretty good with Candace.

I went to pick up Ryan.

"How'd it go today?" I asked when she got in and buckled up.

"Better than yesterday. She was too scared to speak to me today. All I had to do is buck and she'd jump." She smiled to herself.

I shook my head and made my way to Granny's.

"What about you and your friend?"

I shrugged. "It was pretty good. I bought her favorite candy."

"You tried to bribe her."

"I guess you can say that. It kinda worked."

"Kourtney's tryna friend me again."

"Ain't that what you wanted?"

She smiled. "Yupp. Everything will be back to normal if he break up with his girlfriend."

I pulled into Granny's driveway and we got out.

Granny was already outside, in her flower garden.

"Hey babies."

"Hey granny." Ryan and I replied.

We all went in the house. "Ryan, get out your school clothes so you can help me with them nasty weeds."

"Yes ma'am." Ryan said before running upstairs.

"I'll take a little break." Granny sighed and plopped down on the couch.

I went to get her some water.

"Thank you Ronald. How was your day?"

"Good, good."

She nodded and turned on the tv. The news was on, talking bout the little girl.

"Breaking News: We've been talking about this story for a few days. The case of Thomas Grey and his daughter Callie. Thomas was murdered while his brave little girl, Callie, who is 6 years old, lies in recovery today. Investigators say she was shot in the chest while going down the stairs in her home and fell head first. The bullet was 2 inches from her heart. She had a concussion and brain damage. She broke both her legs and an arm, but still managed to survive. Doctors say it's a miracle. Her mother would also like to speak on her daughter's behalf." The reporter said.

Then Callie's mother appeared. She was smiling weakly, eyes red. "My Callie... My Callie is just amazing. For a little girl to go through the things my baby went through that night... I don't know how she still manages to smile. She seen her father lying dead and whoever did this wanted the same for her. But God kept my baby! And for that I'm forever grateful. And for whoever did this, all I can say is God Bless You, but we're coming for you. You will not get away with this, I promise you won't."

The reporter came back. "Investigators will be questioning Callie soon. As of now, they will let her rest with her mother in the hospital. That's all for breaking news."

After the story my grandmother shook her head. "Bless that poor child's soul. I couldn't imagine what her family is going through. It's a miracle that baby even lived. God is good." She smiled and waved her hand.