Chapter 20: Let Us Pray

Sunday

I was awaken by my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I answered sleepily.

"Go ahead and get up. Me and my dad will pick you up at 8:30."

I glanced at the clock. 7:30.

"I'm not playing Ronald, you better be ready."

"Ight, damn." I said before hanging up.

Candace act like she somebody damn mama. I got up and got in the shower. I didn't have anything dressy so I put on a white polo shirt, khakis and my Sperry's. I picked my hair and put on a little cologne before going in the kitchen for a bowl of Fruit Loops.

From Bestfriend; We're outside. 8:33

I grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

I spotted Candace in the passenger seat of a silver Nissan. I slid in the back seat.

"Well well well, if it isn't Lil RJ! How you been son?" Candace's dad said.

"Hey Mr. B, I'm good. How are you?"

"I'm making it. It's good seeing you. How's your family doing?"

"They're good, I live by myself tho. My grandma still stays in the same house."

"That's great, maybe we can pay them a visit after church. Wouldn't that be nice Candy?"

"Sure daddy."

Then we were on our way to church.

"I'm glad you decided to join us RJ."

"I don't go by that name anymore Mr. B." I haven't let anyone call me that since my Pops passed.

"My apologies, what do you go by?"

"Ronny, though your daughter insists on calling me Ronald."

Frank shook his head, laughing. "Always giving people a hard time."

The rest of the ride consist of small talk, and a few memories.

"Remember that time I took you two to the fair and y'all got on that rollercoaster?" Mr. Baker said.

"Yeah, and Candy threw up chili fries, a hot dog with everything on it, and a funnel cake all over me and my brand new J's!"

Candace shrugged. "I told you I didn't wanna get on."

"I didn't make you get on."

"You bet me $10 I couldn't do it! You think I would pass that money up? I'm glad you brought that up daddy cause you owe me money!"

Mr. Baker laughed.

I smacked my lips. "Ion know what you talking bout."

We pulled up to a small church called Abundant Faith.

We all got out the car and I called really observe Candace and Mr. Baker.

He didn't change much. Just gray hairs and a little more belly. I looked Candace over. She had on a yellow dress and wedge heels with her braids up in a bun. She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose and caught me staring.