Chapter 17: Friends Again

I woke up in my bed, not remembering how I got in it. I got up and headed for the bathroom. My eyes were still red and puffy.

I put in some eyedrops and took a shower. I let the cold water hit my back. Today, I felt different. I felt like a heavy weight had been lifted off my shoulders. My whole body just felt... lighter. After my shower, I got dressed and made me a bowl of cereal.

I grabbed my phone, backpack, and keys and headed out. I called my grandma when I pulled in the driveway.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Aye Granny. It's Ronny. Can you tell Ryan to come outside when she's ready?"

"Ronald, come in here and-"

"Please Granny."

She sighed. "Alright boy. But tomorrow you better bring your ass in this house."

"Yes ma'am." I hung up and waited on Ryan.

About 10 minutes later, she and Ryan came outside.

Granny waved from the porch and Ryan got in the car. "Hey."

"Wassup sis?"

There was a brief moment of silence as we made our way to school.

"Mama killed daddy?" She asked.

I shook my head. "No, she didn't kill him."

"Then what happened?"

"I think this is a conversation you need to have with mama."

She smacked her lips. "Why can't you tell me?"

"Because I don't wanna change your perspective on her. You and mama bonding, and I don't wanna ruin that. So Ima let her tell you."

Ryan rolled her eyes and hopped out the car soon as we got to her school.

"Bye Ryan." I yelled out the window.

She chucked up the deuces and kept walking.

I shook my head and went to school.

I seen my niggas standing at the front like it was their posts and parked my car in my usual spot. I got out and dapped everyone up.

"Wassup Ronny? You wanna come with us on this drop tonight?" Jerry asked.

I shrugged. "Yeah, why not?"

"Ight, that's wassup."

I headed in the school and bumped right into Candace. She dropped her books.

"Damn it." She mumbled, not looking up.

"My fault, lemme help you with that." I said, I bent down and picked up her books.

"Thanks." She said when I handed her her books. "Feeling any better?"

I nodded. "I feel alot better, thanks to you."

Candace shrugged. "What are friends for?" Then she headed to class.

I just felt the urge to do flips all down this hallway. I had the biggest smile on my face.