Chapter 13: Advice

A/N; changing Ryan's age to 10 cause some of her thoughts too real for a 7 year old.

I woke up about an hour early. Ever since last night, Candace been lingering on my mind. I don't know why, but it's fucking with my sleep.

I went ahead and got up. I took a cold shower and made myself breakfast. I cooked eggs, bacon, and hash browns with pancakes. Yeah, a nigga can throw down in the kitchen.

After breakfast, it was about time to go. So I headed to Granny's to pick up Ry.

When I got there, I knocked on the door and waited. Granny opened the door. "Hey baby."

"Hey granny." I kissed her forehead and came in the house.

"You talk to Candace yesterday?" She asked.

I sighed as I plopped down on the couch. "Yeah, she reminded me what happened. I apologized and she still hates me! She's been through a lot and I didn't know none of it." I shook my head. "Now she got me feeling guilty cause I know I should've been there. But she won't give me a chance to make it up to her. So what I'm supposed to do?"

"I know the stuff she's been through Ronald. Candy told me everything after you kicked her to the curb. She'd come up here looking for you, but you weren't here so she confided in me."

"You ain't helping me at all Granny. Why didn't you tell me?"

"She told me not to and it's not my place."

"I don't know why I'm so pressed over this tho. I mean, that was a long time ago and I should let it go. But I just can't. I want that old thing back." I said, frustrated.

"I know baby," Granny sat next to me. "Y'all were so close until your daddy died and that nigga Quilt came around. You need to let Candy know how you're feeling, and don't be mad if she turns you down. You keep trying until she gives in."

"It's Quan." I shrugged. "But I don't know, you know my patience runs thin."

"Well if you really want your friend back, you won't let that get in the way. Just think about it." She pat my shoulder and got up. "Come on Ryan, your brother's waiting on you!"

I waited another minute and Ryan came downstairs.

"Wassup Ry." I smiled and played in her hair.

She smacked my hand away. "Move, you messing it up!"

"Dang, somebody gotta attitude this morning." I chuckled.

"Leave that child alone Ronald. Y'all go on to school now. Bye." Granny said, shooing us out the door.

We got in my car, buckled up and pulled off.

It was silent. I had shit on my mind and I think Ryan had something on hers too.

"Damn." I chuckled. "I just realized I'm like your lil friend.

Ry scrunched her eyebrows. "What you mean?"

"There's this girl I used to be bestfriends with. We went way back but I ditched her."

"You ditched her for another girl?" Ryan asked when we stopped at the light.

"Nah." I shook my head. "I ditched her for Quan."