17

Letter from Liam's point of view
Dear Luke,
I had lunch with the Ebonie you love so much. It was going well until I made a dumb mistake and she stormed off. I can't blame her, I knew it was too soon to bring you up. She loves you so much, I could tell. And I don't think she will ever get over you, that was made clear when she burst into tears. After she walked off, I found her sitting against a wall, tears running down her face.

I felt like an idiot. When she ranted about how I expected her to be okay, she was damn right. I had no audicity to ask her about a sensitive topic like that. When she said she didn't know you were dying, I felt some of her pain. Why didn't you tell her Luke? Why the secret? She deserved to know about you being sick. I get that you loved her too much to hurt her, but it hurt her even more when she found out.

In comforting her, I called her 'Eb' as you always did and she flinched. She explained that it was your nickname for her and only yours. She asked me how I knew you, I told her that we used to be best friends back in Australia. I explained that you always talked about her and I saw a faint smile on her face. Your reactions when you met her, when you made her yours and how you always loved her.

I know that you always have made her happy and will continue to. As upset as she was, I knew that me talking about you helped her. I realised that it was Ebonie on the bench back when I first met her here in London. That was why I came up to her, because this was the one and only love of your life. I lied to her when I said I didn't realise at first. I did. From the many photos, explanations and speeches you had shown and given me.
She looked upset, and I just had to go over. She told me it was you, and I immediately knew that this was the girl.

The girl that you were obsessed over, that you fascinated over and adored. Her dark brown eyes, which conveyed hurt and desperation, were framed by black glasses. She wore a red sweater with black jeans, and her smooth black hair was flowing about with the wind. I had to introduce myself. I didn't tell her about you, I didn't want to. I knew she wasn't ready to face that conversation. But now she knows.
Always be your friend,
Liam