Chapter 7 (Edited)

Little Damaria watched her mother's coffin be lifted and placed into the ground; six feet under. She held onto Lance's hand and wiped the silent tears running down her face. She wasn't afraid she was terrified. Staying strong for mommy was more harder than she thought. Even Lance was crying. She could feel his hands shaking as he tried to hold Damaria closer. She didn't realize that they were both hugging and crying when their father pulled them to him.

Kurt Small was officially devastated. He could feel a wound the size of his fist form in his heart. He was to never see his beloved wife again. His thoughts betrayed him and remembered all the memories he had with his wife. The jokes and laughs and arguments they always seemed to have. The troubles in life they always seemed to overcome with patience and strength and trust in each other. He knew he could not make anymore memories. The album was closed. For good.

He reached out to hold Lance and Damaria close. He knew one day he would have to tell his daughter the truth about her. There was more to little Damaria then anyone knew. She was a sweet child with past that would haunt her. He knew Willa would've been better at telling her the truth but she wasn't here.

His heart clenched and he realized now his attention should be on watching over the two children Willa left behind.

     He watched as Lance held Damaria close and whispered soothing words into her ear. The seven year old ignored his comfort and silently cried into his shoulder. Lance wasn't showing the need to stop, he was crying and speaking at the same time almost comforting more himself than his sister.

Kurt noticed the shake in his hands and his heart broke a little. The boy was in obvious pain but there was nothing he could do. And he was doing everything in his power to stay strong for his sister.

---

Days passed and the house's silence grew. Kurt decided it would best to move away. He didn't mention the real reason was because he had lost his job. After Willa's death working became difficult, he spent time trying to cope with pain and trying to help his children. But his boss realized all the extra breaks and the smell of smoke that was always around him proved Kurt wasn't going to change. Kurt had left. This person was someone else, a person debates by an event of the past.

He came home and staggered around for a while. Not knowing what to do. When he finally fell on the couch, Lance walked in and stood in front of him. The twelve year old boy was watching his father with distaste and discomfort. It was one in the morning and now father had decided to show? He wasn't acting like his father ever did.

"Dad?"

Kurt peaked through this heavy eyelids to see his son standing before him. He didn't know what to expect when the news of being fired would be delivered. His son was young but he knew what losing a job meant.

"What's with all the boxes dad?" Lance was testing a theory.

"We're moving."

"What? When?"

"In two days."

"Why?"

There was hesitation clear in his answer. He didn't want his son to know the truth. He had promised to take care of them and now he was fired and there was no income. There was no taking care of the children without losing himself and one of the children.

Lance hoped that his father was only joking about moving. But the facial expression that he was seeing said otherwise. Lance knew that something was up, even though he was still young, it was obvious his father was hiding something.

"I got fired." His father leaned back and closed his eyes.

A silence settled over the two and Lance realized that move was no joke. His father had done what Lance had feared. He had given up. Lance stumbled back and ran to his room. He wasn't going to cry. He jumped on his messy bed and punched the pillow. He was done with trying to see good in his father. If the man wanted respect then he'd better pick up his act.

---

In the morning movers had come in to help pack all their belongings. The men didn't bother to keep the noise down. Damaria had still been sleeping when Lance had got up to make himself some breakfast. He was still upset towards his father and he didn't want to face him today or tomorrow or ever.

Kurt walked into the kitchen. He watched his son crack the egg and whisk it with perfection his mother had taught him. He noticed his son was ignoring him. The anger boiled in Kurt's body but be subdued it. He wanted to make sure Lance didn't think he was the bad guy. He trying to work hard and still take care of them.

He carefully walked up to his son and tried to start a light conversation.

"So whatcha making for breakfast?" Lance didn't acknowledge him. "Has Damaria woken up yet?"

Lance shook his head.

"Is your room packed so I can ask the movers to load the truck?"

Lance shrugged his shoulders.

Kurt's patience grew thin. He was his father and he demanded respect.

"Lance Small I swear if you do not give me respect I will kick out of the house! You can go live in a homeless shelter or on the streets I don't give a crap! You have passed the line of disrespect!" Kurt was breathing hard.

"Me give you respect?! Please all you've done to help us is watch over us. You haven't cooked so we order take out every night! You haven't bothered to clean the house! And you sure as hell haven't tried to keep your job! You come home out of your head sometimes and you always smell like smoke or alcohol!" Lance yelled.

Kurt and Lance watched each other for a long time before Damaria walked in, she was carrying the last gift from her mother; a teddy bear.

"What's wrong, Lance?" Damaria asked, rubbing her eyes.

"Nothing cupcake, go back to to your room and pack your toys. We're leaving in three hours." Lance sighed.

Damaria walked out of the kitchen and Lance turned towards his father again.

"You know I've had it with your criticism, I don't care what you do anymore. But as long you live under my roof, you play by my rules, Lance. And my first rule is to receive respect when I ask for it and every other time besides then. And from now on I will tell Damaria what to do, you will not get to see your sister until you have given me the respect I deserve for raising you pathetic children and for caring for you everyday." Kurt walked into the living room and grabbed Damaria who was seated on the couch, listening to their conversation.

     He dragged her to her room and locked her in, in the dark. Lance listened in pain as she screamed and cried and kicked at the door and ground to get out, afraid of what lay in the darkness around her. His heart clenched as he realized this was his fault but there was nothing he could do about it.

     He clenched his fists, his father was a monster. Damaria was going to grow up with a monster. He yelled in frustration and threw the bowl of whisked egg against the sink. It crashed and shattered.

     Like his heart after Damaria screamed, the darkness was her worst enemy. It always had been.

--------
Hey guys!
Vote and comment :)