Chapter 35 (Edited)

The ringing of Libby's cell phone echoed throughout her room. The girl in question sat a few feet away on the small bed, teetering on the edge. She was well aware of who it was and she wasn't in the mood of talking to them. She had realized the truth behind their departure and she wasn't going to give them the benefit of knowing they were having the time of their life while she was trying to fight herself. Slowly she inched closer, her face right above the phone, her fingers were itching to answer the call but her heart was still angry and hurting.

With one final ring she fell onto the bed with her stomach flat and put the phone to her ears. She had picked up. And now she hoped she wouldn't regret it. Calming her breathing she listened for the distasteful sound of her mother's voice.

"Libby dear?"

"Don't 'dear' me." Libby gritted out.

"Libby, I am your mother-"

"Is that the title you're going to use in court?"

"Well legally I am!" Harper screamed.

"Calm you temper mom, wouldn't want the court to get a hold of a recording." Libby sneered. Her temper was rising as well but she wasn't going to give in, she wanted this conversation to end.

"Libby, I am wining this divorce case and I will have you!"

"I don't think so." Libby whispered, a sob stuck in her throat.

"Watch me."

---

Ryder stepped into his aunt's office. She was sitting calmly while reviewing some work. He had now noticed that he had rarely ever seen her not working. She was always busy with some type of assignment or project. Entering he looked around the neat office, he threw his bag onto the sofa and took a seat on the leather chair in front of his aunt.

"Good afternoon, Ryder." Damaria looked up.

"I came to work."

"I see." Damaria mumbled skeptically.

"Yeah, I didn't see Libby today though."

"It is alright, she deserves a break."

Ryder stood up to leave but Damaria stopped him. "What did you really come for?"

Ryder sighed. "I just wanted to ask you something...about the...about Midnight."

Damaraia froze. "What about Midnight?"

"Do you anything about him?"

"Ryder, Lance will kill me if he found out that I told you anything."

"No I've already talked to dad-"

"I know, it is just that Lance is very protective over you and if you went off and did something stupid. I would be responsible and you be hurt. I can not risk it."

"Well I am not going to do something stupid! I just want to know who he is!" Ryder yelled.

Damaria visibly looked calm. Ryder was waiting for her to yell back but she only sighed. "I know as much about him as the next person." She relented.

"Nothing more?"

"At work I advise not speaking about news that can create panic."

"Okay, I guess." Ryder shrugged and grabbed his bag on the way out.

"You can leave your bag." Damaria called.

"It's alright, I'll put it in the staff room."