Chapter 1 (Edited)

Ashlyn Lucia turns on the stove, the pot of water resting on the counter next to it. She starts chopping the vegetables; waiting for the stove to heat up. Her three year old son, Bentley comes running through the kitchen. His overloaded diaper bouncing as he runs around the kitchen chasing their small puppy, Gold.

"Bentley Lucia you know you are not allowed to chase the poor puppy." The little boy stops, after being scolded. He turns to his mother and pouts his lips and threatens to spill tears. "Oh, come here." Bentley waddles over to his mother. He grasps her skinny tanned finger and climbs into her lap. She stand up and rests him on her hip. "You're one tricky little boy."

Bentley giggles as his mother tickles his tummy. Ashlyn's laughter rings out loud and Bentley giggles louder.

When the stove heats up, Ashlyn places Bentley on the high chair near the table and goes to put the pot of water on the stove. She tucks her brown hair into a bun and washes her hands as she continues to cut the vegetables.

"Dear lord, what smells in here." Rowan Lucia walks into the kitchen. He turns to find the culprit of the stink smell; his son. And he playfully narrows his eyes, then gives him the I'm watching you two finger sign. He fixes his tie as he walks over to Ashlyn. "Someone has to change his diaper."

Ashlyn smiles and cleans her hands on her apron as she turns to him. "Well let's see, I did it this morning, so I guess it's your turn."

"But I just got ready to fix a business deal with Mr.Atwood. He's been expecting me for two weeks and every time something comes up." Rowan complained as he struggled to fix his tie. Ashlyn reached over and swatted his hands away, as she fixed his tie. Men never learn.

"Fine this time, but next two times it's your turn. I still have to make dinner and if dinner doesn't get made then we'll all be hungry tonight."

"Fine, thanks. Love you bye." Rowan grabbed his brief case before making his way to the front door. "Hey Ashlyn can you please lock the door?"

Ashlyn followed her husbands voice to the entrance of the house and shook her head. She locked the door and made her way back to the stove. Bentley was staring at the puppy doing tricks and laughing when she would fall.

Ashlyn reached over and grabbed a few biscuits for Bentley. The puppy's tail wagged as he realized that she was handing out treats. He sat down and patiently waited. God dog, Ashlyn thought. And a smart one at that.

Ashlyn sighed and reached to grab some puppy treats. She threw them to Gold, the little puppy jumped and caught the treat in his mouth.

"Good boy Gold." Ashlyn cooed before returning to the stove.

A few minutes later Gold got tired of walking around the kitchen and walked into the living room. There he rested on his puppy bed. Ashlyn was slightly happy that he had decided to leave the kitchen while she was working.

She watched Bentley out of the corner of her eye as he played with his food. She continued to chop the vegetables and then proceeded to put them in the pot. The water was at a boil and Ashlyn was looking for the chicken broth.

When the soup was finished, Ashlyn threw some chopped pieces of bread into the oven to bake for a few. She took Bentley upstairs to change his diaper and give him a shower.

The little boy was getting sleepy as Ashlyn changed him into his sleep ware. He yawned and curled up on the bed as Ashlyn set him down. She smoothed his soft brown hair and tucked him in.

Quietly she closed the door and made her way downstairs. The dinner was still warm and she was waiting for her husband to arrive back home. He was supposed to be here in half an hour. She started to clean the house and feed the puppy while she waited.