Chapter Sixteen : Long Time Coming

*Sophie's POV *

I shut the door of the taxi, yawning and walking up the steps to my apartment. It had been a few days since the wedding that never was and everything was different now. Victoria and I hadn't spoken, I'd hardly seen Ana and Siva, and Tom... well he had gone into a shell of his usual self. Although he had been the one to end the engagement and cancel the wedding, hearing the news that Victoria had cheated broke him. It made him, I dunno, feel like he meant nothing to Victoria.

I reached my door and found a note taped to it.

Mi yrros.

I sighed and smiled to myself. “I am, you know.” I heard. I turned to see Tom stood at the bottom of the stairs. “Can I come up?” He asked, nervously looking down at his hands. “Sure.” I said, quietly and unlocked the door.

I handed Tom a drink and sat beside him, nervous about what we would talk about, what he had to say. “I just wanted to apologise because I know I treated you like shit and you didn't deserve it. I kept secrets from you and you were the one who got hurt every time, not me. I'm so sorry for that.” Tom stared into his glass as he spoke, unable to look me in the eye. I nodded and remained quiet, not quite knowing how to respond. “And when you finally... told me how you felt, I guess I was shocked. I always thought we... liked each other... but I never knew for sure. When you told me on the day of my wedding, I was mixed up. One half of me was ecstatic that finally, my wishes were real and the girl I had fallen for in college... well, school... she felt the same.” He sipped his water, as if trying to keep his mouth from going dry with nerves. “The other half was, well, petrified. I knew that I didn't want the wedding, but I was scared. My Mom was there. My best friends. Vicky's parents... I couldn't just....” His voice drifted off and he looked up at me for the first time. “No one has ever told me how they felt like that and I've never known you speak for yourself like that. You care about everyone else more than yourself and I guess, in that moment, I saw you grow into someone completely new.” He tilted his head slightly and blinked a few times, words and thoughts evidently flying around his head. I looked away. “Soph...” He whispered. I turned back and sighed, wondering what would come out of his mouth next. “I want you.” He whispered.

I gulped and wondered if I had misheard him. “You...” I began but words failed me. He nodded and placed his hand on top of mine. “I've been fighting feelings for years now. And I'm done with that. I want you.” He confirmed. I felt tears spring to my eyes and I had no idea why. I stood and walked to the window, keeping quiet and staring out into the street. I realised he was stood behind me, although I hadn't heard him stand. “I'm sorry, I'll go.” He said. “No.” I said, turning quickly. I felt his lips pressed to mine, sharp and quick but... good. We pulled apart and looked at each other, his hand sliding down my arm to hold my hand. “Soph. I mean this.” He said, gripping my hand slightly tighter. “But, Victoria...” I said. He frowned and shook his head. “She's got a new boyfriend. Do you really think she is going to be... bothered?” He said. I had to agree. I looked down at our entwined hands. “This has been a long time coming.” Tom said with a smile. I nodded and pulled him into a hug, putting my head on his chest. It really had. A long time indeed. Years in fact.