Chapter Nine : New.

*Sophie's POV *

A few weeks later, I'd been to a few wedding shops with Victoria to be measured for the dress. I sat at home one day, writing up a few work pieces on my laptop when my phone rang. I answered it.

“Soph, it's Victoria. Hi. So, I was wondering... Do you have a date for the wedding?” I sighed and rolled my eyes, putting the phone between my ear and shoulder as I continued to type.

“No, why? I don't want you to set me up. Being single doesn't frighten me.” I told her, though I know she wouldn't listen.

“Tough. I have a date lined up for you.” I groaned.

“See you tonight, I'll text you the details.” And with that, she hung up. I continued to work.

That night, I was stood with Victoria and Tom at the bar, waiting for my mystery date to turn up. “It's really nice to see you.” Tom said when Victoria headed outside on the phone. I nodded and turned away, looking around the room. I hadn't spoken to him since our weekend away and I didn't plan to speak to him tonight. Victoria came back inside. “He's here, he's just parking.” She grinned. “Who?” Tom asked. Ah, so he didn't know. “Soph's date!!” Victoria grinned. I picked up my drink from the counter and headed to a booth. I sat to see Tom and Victoria in what seemed to be a heated conversation.

A little while later, the man had joined us. “Sophie, this is my friend's brother, Timothy.” Victoria said. He was tall..ish. Blonde, blue eyes, with a gorgeous smile that caused dimples in his cheeks. I smiled as he sat beside me, complimenting my lipstick. I laughed and shrugged, picking up my drink to take a sip. I saw the look on Tom's face. He excused himself and went to the bathroom. “So, you two... will you be getting anything to eat?” Victoria asked us. I picked up a menu as Timothy shuffled closer to have a look too. Tom returned. “Anyone want another drink?” He asked. “I'll get this round.” Timothy smiled, making a mental note of everyone's half empty glasses. Tom sat down. “And I'm ordering food. Want any Soph?” Victoria asked. I shook my head. She shrugged and headed off to the bar with Timothy.

“You like him, huh?” Tom asked. I looked up at him, sniffing. “Timothy?” I asked. Tom blinked a number of times as I said his name. “Yeah.” He said. I shrugged, looking over my shoulder towards the bar as Victoria waved over. “Maybe. Who knows yet.” I said. Tom nodded as Victoria returned to us. She sat beside me. “He thinks you are gorgeous, babe.” She grinned at me, patting my hand. I laughed and shook my head. “I doubt it.” I blushed. “It's true, he just told me.” She sounded so excited. I glanced up at Tom who was looking at Timothy as he carried the tray of drinks to us.

Timothy and Tom continued to buy drinks all night, swapping turns with each other to go to the bar. They also brought a lot of shots. Tom downed his straight off, vodka, tequila, sambuca, all just seemed to taste like water to him. I let Victoria have mine, shots always sent me over the edge of being drunk to the part where I could barely stand. I distinctly remember one birthday in college where I threw up all night and shuddered at the memory, only to be saddened to remember that Tom was the one to hold my hair out of place and tuck me into bed afterwards. I blinked and looked up at Tom who wiped his mouth after another shot. He looked back at me, our eyes connecting and a moment happening. “I'm ready for bed.” Victoria announced. Our eyes broke apart and Tom nodded, drunkly. “Me too.” He said. “Let's go.” She said, helping him stand. She winked at me and glanced at Timothy and then they were gone. I literally blinked and they had disappeared. No goodbye, nothing. Timothy offered to buy me another drink but I declined, telling him I had to go home now to finish the work I had started earlier today. It was a lie, I had completed it all, I was just tired and the excitement was finished for this evening. I climbed into a taxi and headed home, not giving Timothy another thought.

The next morning, I woke to a lot of messages.

Sphoie, are you OKAy?

Soph, please answerr meeee

I feel sick

Sophie, are you with TimoThhy?

Sophie?

Hello?

Answer me.

Did you and Timothyy....?

Never mind, forget it.

Sorry about those texts. I was drunk. T x

*Tom's POV *

I rolled over in bed and picked up my phone. 0 New Messages. I looked across at Victoria, still sleeping peacefully beside me. I'd spent all night texting Soph. All night worrying. Had she taken Timothy home? Was she okay? Did she even get home? Had they.....

I rolled out of bed and was just about to make a call when I received a text.

I'm fine. Tim didn't come back with me. And ps. Don't ever drink again. Idiot.x

I smiled to myself and glanced back at Victoria. “Morning, babe.” She smiled, stretching. “Morning.” I replied, deleting every message, every memory of last night.