Chapter Seven

The next morning I woke up to find Vanessa sprawled out on the bed with me on the very edge. A sheen of sweat glistened on her flushed face and I carefully pushed her curls out of the way. Such a cute little girl.

The only thing wrong really was that she was a restless sleeper and you always woke up with a foot or even elbow in your back.

I remembered what happened last night at her make shift party. I felt a bubble of hatred in my chest and was shocked at the presence of it. How cruel.

I felt the urge to throw a fit like Vanessa, to protest and shout about how unfair they were to her, to fix all her problems and take her away. She didn't deserve this horrible life, they shouldn't do this a second time, Vanessa was too precious for that. I sat up on my elbows angrily.

I rolled off the edge of the bed but instead of landing on my feet I tumbled to the floor, getting a mouthtull of plush carpet. I clambered to my feet and walked to my bathroom. Friday, it's only Friday. Then I can lay around in my pajama's all day tomorrow.

I stripped down and stepped into the steaming hot shower. I tried to spend as much time in there as I could. I shaved my legs and arms, I washed my hair twice and scrubbed my body until it was flushing pink.

I finally felt clean enough and stepped out onto the tiled floor. Wrapping a towel around myself I walked into my bedroom and got dressed.

For once in the rainy months that have been consistent the sun shone bright and alarming. I let the light from my window warm my skin and I took in every drop of vitamin D that I could consume. I decided on my favorite pair of jeans and flats along with my amethyst pendent and silver Ralph Loren flare shirt.

I took the extra time to curl my hair and put on some makeup, not worried about the rain washing it all away. For once I felt a little like I used to be, before the marriage of my mom and Michael. Before my mother became a gold digger.

I grabbed my book bag and with one last look in the mirror before I left my room I thundered down the stairs only to greet an angry mother fixing the picture frames on the stairs.

"What's your problem?" I asked.

She was just putting up a picture of Maggie and Rachel when I came downstairs. I took a moment to look around at all the pictures of our family, not one of them containing me.

There used to be pictures of me and my mother long before she married Michael as well as a few pictures of mom Rachel and Maggie and I.

"What happened to all the pictures of me?" I asked. Mom didn't listen and instead just kept ignoring me.

"I've decided that you are no longer a part of our family. I've put two hundred thousand dollars in your bank account and I expect you to be out of the house in a week." She spoke. I was shocked. All this over an argument.

"What the hell?" I said.

"You said it felt like you never had a family at all. So now I'm giving you a chance to be your own family." she said. My mouth dropped open.

"Is this a joke?" I asked.

She finally turned to face me.

"No, this is not a joke. Since when have I ever joked? You are miserable here, so I'm letting you get away." She said. tears were springing in her eyes and she was trying not to cry. My heart swelled with love. Sure, she had screwed up, but I was touched that she was trying to make things right.

"Mom, why are you doing this?" I asked. I set down my bag and walked over to her, hugging her gently because if I ruffled her red silk blouse she would have gotten upset. Turns out she didn't care and hugged me hard. Her hand brushed through my hair and I felt a drop of water drop onto the top of my head.