Chapter Six

The rest of the school day went by in a blur. I hadn't payed much attention to what was going on around me and I didn't talk much to anybody.

I was too busy thinking.

I seemed to have been doing that a lot these days; thinking. Maybe it's because my judgement was being skewed. I thought about what happened in the parking lot the other day, and the incident this morning outside on the green field. Was I losing it? I wonder.

How do I deal with all this drama? It seems like I've just been attracting it lately. But maybe, I just have been causing it by making things too difficult.

Things aren't that complicated in my life. Sure, I have a sucky family, a dead best friend, and a possible crush on a guy I've only known for about a month. It's not that complicated. Right?

I also feel like Jonah's right. I won't open up to people and I have no hope left. At the same time I keep wondering if maybe the only reason I don't have hope is because I won't accept hope. Maybe that is a good thing?

I give up! I gave up a long time ago and now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the big mess that is otherwise known as my life. UGH!

The last period bell rang and I robotically stood out of my seat and picked up my books. I was almost out the door when my history teacher Mr. Vensualeas called me to his desk.

"Melinda would you please stay for just a minute?" I turned and nodded, obiediently walking to his large oak desk and retro chalk board.

"What can I help you with Mr. V?" I asked. He smiled.

"I'm worried about you, Melinda. You've seemed very out of it today? Is there a problem at home? Or is this about your friend...Destrey was it?" He asked. I smiled at the mention of the boy's name.

"Destynie, and no." I replied.

"Well could it be...a boy?" he asked. Oh yes, it was about a boy. very much so.

"No. I just haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately and classes were difficult for me today because I couldn't concentrate." I lied. He nodded. I shuffled awkwardly on my feet, clutching the books closer to my chest as I struggled to maintain my composure.

"You know, if you ever need to talk about something, I'm always here after school. If you need anything at all, don't be afreaid to stop by." he said.

"Isn't that the councelor's job though?" I asked. He took off his glasses and rubbed the sore spot between his eyes. Then looked up. Wow. I never knew how blue his eyes were until I saw them with out the glasses. Oh jeesh. Really? Now I'm thinking about how attractive one of my teacher's are, I seriously need some help!

"The councelor isn't entirely a trustworthy person. Don't you think? I mean they say it's all confidential and then they go and write it all down for their records. Not quite confidential if you ask me. So, I'm giving you an alternative; you can either go to the councelor who will most likely tell your parents or you can always come visit me and nothing will be said outside of this room." he said.

"It's your choice. Although I don't want you to think I'm pressuring you tell me your secrets. I'm just offering you another choice." he said.

I looked down at my feet. I contemplated for a moment.

"Okay. Sure. If I ever need to talk about something I'll come to you." I said.

He smiled, happy with the fact that he got through to me.

"So, is there something you would like to talk about?" he asked. I shook my head.

"Nope. Thanks though Mr. V." He seemed dumbfounded and I took the oppurtunity to leave.