Chapter 8

(Joeys Pov) (6 days later)

Today was the day shane and I are leaving. We've decided to run into the woods. According to a map I found we will come out in a city, I forget what it was called but its far enough away. We wont run into the chance of People looking for us there.

I've spent the last couple days packing stuff into a small suitcase. Since I was suppose to be leaving for Canada my parents thought I was just packing things for there. Shane got out of the hospital a couple days ago. he said he packed a small bag with a few things that would help us survive.

I decided to pack my bow from when I was 13. I snuck down to the basement where a few things were left and took it and some arrows out of the case. We would be able to hunt food... Maybe... I never exactly learned how to shoot it..

I had to take a few things out of my suitcase in order to fit but the stuff wasn't that important. As I packed my last stuff i took out my phone and texted shane,

(Texting)

Joey: are you ready?

Shane: yes, I just packed my last things, meet me at the park in ten?

Joey: ok, see you there. Love you!

Shane: love you to, xoxo.

(End of texting)

I started walking down the long pavement road. I turned around as I walked looking back at my house.

"Goodbye" I whispered tearing up but I knew I had to keep going. I couldn't give up now.

(Shane's Pov)

Before I left I wrote a small note. I was going to miss my mom alot but I couldn't stand the abuse.

~ dear family,

goodbye, and no this is not a suicide letter, I'm just leaving. I wish I could tell you where but the truth Is I have no clue. all I know is I'll be safe. and hopefully you guys will be to. I'm sorry but this is for the best...

..love shane ♡

I stuck the note on the fridge, grabbed my bag and walked out the door. My dad was passed out on the couch and my mom was at work so I could easily sneak out.

When I got to the park joey still wasn't there so I just sat on the bench. I checked through my bag once again making sure I had everything. By the time I finished joey was standing beside me. I stood up and kissed him.

"Let's go" joey smiled pulling away.

I held my bag in one hand and joeys hand in the other. When no one was looking we ran into the trees disappearing from sight.

We ran for what felt like forever not saying anything when finally I realised how out of shape I was and almost fell over.

"Are you ok shaney?" Joey giggled

"So... Tired... Need... Break" I panted falling into a pile of leaves.

"So I guess this is where were going to stay for the night?"

I only nodded, I could hardly breath.

"You do realise we only ran a few kilometres"

He totally found this funny.

"I hate you and your perfectness" I finally said

"You love me, don't deny it" he smirked hugging me,

I sat up and looked over at joeys bag,

"What did you pack?" I asked

He unzipped it and dumped it out. In front of me lied a bow and a few arrows, food, matches, clothes, a tarp, a flashlight, cards (because you know everyone brings card with them when they run away) and a couple hundred dollars. There was also a sleeping bag.

"Joey, why is there only one sleeping bag?" I giggled

"To preserve body heat duh"

As it got dark we sat up the tarp between a few trees.

I laid the sleeping bag underneath. It was pretty big but I still wasn't sure if we would both fit, yet joey insisted we would.

It turns out we both did thank god, because I really didn't want to freeze my ass off....

"Shane..." Joey started

"Yeah?"

"I'm scared..."

I hugged him closer putting his head against my chest,

"I won't let anything hurt you joey. I will die before I let you get hurt." I whisper

"I love you so much" I felt him crying.

"We're gonna be ok" I soothed "this will all be over soon, we'll be in the city soon"

"Goodnight"

(Joeys Pov)

I woke up realising i was in the middle of the forest, what the fuck am I doing here!

I immediately panicked, then everything hit me. I was running away with shane, I'm scared. I want to go home but I don't have one anymore. My families miles away probably living there dream life. I wonder if there worried.. Probably not.

My stomach growled reminding me I'm hungry. I looked in the bag where I had a few granola bars. I ate one but I was still hungry. When shane gets up i will hunt for something. Or at least try.

(Shane's Pov)

I heard rustling outside. I lifted up my head to see joey holding a bow. I wasn't sure if I trusted him with that...

"Hey shaney!" He smiled happily "I'm going hunting!"

"Alone?" I asked him worried

"Yeah! Don't worry I'll be fine! Can you pack up pour stuff while I'm gone? We have to keep moving"

"Ok" I said kissing his forehead

"Bye" he said as he grabbed his bow and arrows

"Be careful!" I called out

When I could see him anymore I started packing up. I took down the tarp and rolled up the sleeping bag putting it into the bag. Once I had all the bags packed i sat down and waited. I felt a lone scared but I can't turn back.

It was almost an hour and joey still wasn't back. Where is he?