Chapter One

"Yo, Brett!" Matt screamed, walking into his best friend's new house.

"Matt?" Brett called back surprised.

"You didn't think you could get rid of me that easily, did you?" Matt laughed.

Brett laughed. "How do your parents feel about you moving states?"

"Eh, they were pissed at first. But, I convinced them." Matt laughed at the memory of his mom, who finally gave in when he said 'Give it a month. If I don't have a reason to stay, I'll come home.' 

Brett stuck up his hand for a high five and Matt returned it. "Dude, you're a genius."

"Yeah, I've heard." Matt laughed.

Brett, who was a little slow, finally found a problem. "Dude, where are you going to live?" 

"Are you saying your best friend can't stay with you?"

Brett nodded. "Kevin would kick my ass." 

Kevin was a nineteen year old who was like a brother to Brett. Once his uncle died, he got super lucky and got like, a million dollars and a house. Lucky bastard. 

"Shit. Where am I going to live then?"

"I don't know. Dude, you should've planned this out better."

Matt sighed. "I guess I'll have to go home then . . ." He wasn't serious, and the way he walked away was really dramatic. 

"Wait! You could- Uhh- get an apartment!" Brett yelled; the idea just came to him.

"And where am I going to get the money for that?" Matt asked him, giving him a 'you're an idiot' look.

Brett just smiled at this and pulled out a credit card. "Here. It's Kevin's."

Matt laughed. "Isn't he going to kill you when he finds out?"

Brett nodded. "Probably. But, who cares? When I get kicked out, I can go live with you." 

"Good luck with that . . ."

"You should probably go. Get an apartment, I mean. Hey, did your mom enroll you in school yet?"

Matt looked at him. "Sadly, yeah. I'm going on Monday. Speaking of school, why aren't you in it?"

Brett laughed. "I'm going on Monday, actually. I needed a couple days to unpack, but I'm ready now."

Matt laughed. "Wow, how ironic. I'll see you." Matt walked towards the door.

"Later."

- - -

"Hey, Everybody! You might have heard the rumor, and I have to tell you myself, it's true! Party at my house tonight! Everybody from this grade up is invited! Except . . . Hm." He looked around the crowd and pointed at Alicia. "Alicia and- Andre." He said, looking down at a boy at his table.

Andre's mouth dropped. Cameron smiled. "Just kidding, dude. Yeah, but seriously. Party at my place tonight." Cameron sat back down in his seat.

Evelyn looked at Mackenzie. "Want to go?" 

Mackenzie looked at her confused, "Huh?"

"To the party . . . You know, the one that was just annonced."

Mackenzie laughed and looked back at John, a super cute jock that Mackenzie called dips on in ninth grade. This year, she had a feeling that they'd work out. "Mhm. Sure."

"Oh, I see. You're staring at John. If you like him, Mackenzie, why don't you just go ask him out?"

"Girls aren't supposed to ask guys out, Evelyn. It doesn't work like that."

"When the girl has been staring at the guy for three years, the rules are a little bit different. Plus, I'm sure he would totally say yes. I mean, he looks at you every five seconds. Maybe he feels the same way."

Mackenzie snorted. "Yeah right." she said sarcastically.

"You could ask him out at the party."

"What party?"

"Oh my god, Mackenzie. Cameron's party. The one going on tonight!"

"Oh . . . I guess I could try . . ."

"Good girl." Evelyn said, standing up. "C'mon. I don't want to be late."

"I'll see you after school, okay?"

Evelyn smiled. "See you then."