Chapter Three

Jamie pulled up to Cameron Bennett’s house and parked on the side of the road. “Ev.” He spoke quietly. “We’re here.”

She nodded and tore her attention away from the faint stars. She looked at him and smiled. “Thanks for driving us here.” She kissed his cheek and opened the car door, hopping out. Jamie sat in the car, blushing like crazy. Evelyn looked at him. “C’mon, slow-poke!”

Mackenzie and Chelsea climbed out of the back and followed them inside; Mackenzie quickly spotted Andre and walked over to him. He was hanging out with Cameron, who was pouring chips into bowls.

"Damn, people eat chips fast. This is like, my fifth time doing this in an hour." Cameron commented. Andre laughed. "Oh, hey Mackenzie."

Mackenzie smiled. "Hiya, guys." 

"What's up?" Cameron asked, pouring Doritos into a blue bowl.

"Air balloons somewhere in Jamaica . . ." Mackenzie rocked back and forth on her feet. "Well, that's what I assume . . ." 

They laughed. "Hey, Andre. Guess who I invited."

Andre looked from his cup to Cameron. "The whole school?" 

"Well, yeah. But, I also invited Brett. I wonder if he'll show."

Mackenzie looked between Andre and Cameron. "Who's Brett?" 

Cameron and Andre looked at each other and back at her, laughing. "A friend."

"What grade is he in?" She was still rocking back and forth on her feet, now playing with her fingers and she stood clueless. She'd never heard of some of the people who friends were mentioning . . . 

"Uh . . ." Cameron looked at Andre. "Twelth, right?"

Andre nodded. "I think so . . . He can't be younger than us, I know that . . . Yeah," He nodded again and looked at Mackenzie. "Twelth." 

"Yeah, and apparently, he's bringing a friend. Sadly, it's not a girl. Jeez, I can't help but wonder what his friend is going to be like? I wonder if him and Brett are similar."

"I'm guessing this friend doesn't go to school with us?" She looked up at Cameron. 

"Nah, but neither does Brett . . ." Cameron said before adding, "Yet."

"That's probably why I don't know them, you idiots!" Mackenzie giggled. 

Cameron smiled. "Yeah, I didn't think you did. Brett makes an impression on most of the girls he meets . . . " This made Andre laugh. 

"Impression?" Mackenzie snorted. "I ain't very easy . . ." 

"Virgin Mary couldn't resist him, I'm sure. I swear, he has to teach me how he does it."

"Boys are so. . . dumb." Mackenzie sighed. "I'll see y'all later. Imma go find my 'crew' again. . ." 

Cameron smiled. "See ya'." He waved.

Mackenzie started off through the house, thinking clueless thoughts to her. Sometimes about bunnies and others about where her friends could possibly be.

Chelsea spotted Mackenzie and smiled. "Mackenzie! C'mere!"

Mackenzie looked up from her feet and smiled brightly when she saw Chelsea. They were conviently standing near John, too. Mackenzie jogged her way over. "Hey, I was lookin' for ya'." 

"Me too." Chelsea pointed to Matt. "Mackenzie, this is my best friend, Matt. I met him back home." Chelsea smiled. "Matt, this is my biff Mackenzie."