Hitchin' a ride

My eyes follow a droplet of rain that's trying to reach the bottom of the car window. Right before the end, it stops in its tracks, leaving me confused. I mentally encourage the drop to move forward and finish that last millimeter, but no matter how hard I stare at it, movement is far to seek. I eventually give up and let out a sigh of defeat, shifting my body in a more comfortable position.

It's been a couple of hours since we left Mike's house and it seems we keep passing the same spots over and over again. A feeling Billie might be lost creeps into me, but I decide to keep shut about it, hoping the bar will pop up soon.

The light outside is gradually fading away, the moon replacing the sun so the evening can finally set in. I have always thought the night has a certain calming vibe to it, as if time stands still and actions don't have consequences.

Unfortunately, in the world as we know it today, danger seems to be lurking in every corner of darkness. I wonder if I will ever be able to enjoy the sight of stars again.

"Where actually is that bar of yours situated?" I finally ask, growing bored of the car I have spent almost the entire day in. In his story, it took Billie and Adrienne about fifteen minutes to get to the place. We have been driving for hours on end now.

Not to mention the fact that my head is still pounding madly, my throat is still dryer than sand and that my stomach is producing sounds compared to those of a hyperventilating whale.

"Oh, it's somewhere over there" Billie vaguely gestures, as he softly bites his lip. I let out a sigh as I sent him a questioning look.

"We're lost, aren't we?"

"Well, not exactly lost it's just that I kinda..." Billie trails off. "I forgot where the bar is" he quickly adds, avoiding my sneering looks.

"Oh, Billie, why didn't you say that sooner?" I groan, covering my face with my hands. "I'm fucking starving"

"Well, I thought we'd just come across it but we... y'know, we didn't"

I let out a deep sigh as I rest my head against the back of the seat. I stare into the deepest corners of darkness, through which I can vaguely recognize some buildings. I anxiously look for anything that could be a walker, until my eye falls onto something else.

"Billie, stop the car. There's a gas station over there! I could gather something to eat and find a map" I say, sitting straight up in anticipation of the food that awaits me. The salvia is slowly seeping into my mouth again as I think of all the things I'm going to eat and the liters of water I'm going to drink.

"Can't I come in there with you?" he asks, a concerned look on his face.

"I'll manage on my own, you've got to stay here and guard the car" I reply, to which I receive a defeated sigh. I put on an angel-like face, making him chuckle.

Billie drives onto the parking lot, and I'm just about to get out of the car, when he gets a hold of my hand. "Please be careful in there, okay" he sweetly smiles at me. A pleasant feeling warms up the core of my stomach and I can't help but smile. "I'll be fine"

I'm immediately welcomed by the cold air of the night as I get out of the car. I stretch my legs that have gotten all sore from spending an entire day in a vehicle that's clearly not familiar with the term 'comfortable sitting space'.

I pace over to the store, still with no clue of what I'm supposed to expect. Either the place is picked clean by people, filled with walkers or it's going to be untouched and full of delicious food. I'm praying for the last one, even though I have an unnerving feeling it's going to be one of the first.