Chapter 16

There was some interview scheduled that I didn't even remember until Louis called me the next morning asking where I was. I didn't even know what the interview was for. I walked into Lou's makeshift salon and took a seat in her chair. The other boys were already good to go. She immediately put her hands into my hair and set to work.

Niall looked up from his phone,

"I thought you were done with bein' late all the time."

"I didn't even know this was happening. When did we schedule it?"

Louis looked up at Niall,

"Leave the man alone. He's got a lot on his mind."

Niall walked up and sat down in the chair next to mine. He pushed his phone into his pocket,

"Em called me last night." He instantly had my attention. He smiled, "She says you guys are doing well in therapy. You've made some real breakthroughs."

I nodded,

"We have. Every day she comes back to me a little bit more."

"She says you have a date tonight. Jess is supposed to come take the kids."

I raised my eyebrows,

"For the night?"

Niall nodded,

"That was what she said." He couldn't help the smile from appearing on his face and to be honest either could I, "So whatever she's got planned it's for the whole night."

I quickly got rid of my smile as nerves crept in. I hadn't touched anyone in almost a year. The thought of getting near her again made me excited and terrified all at the same time. I shook my head,

"We're not there yet." I said softly.

Niall was about to respond when someone I'd never seen before came into the room to tell us it was time for our interview.

Lou shrugged as she ran her hands through my hair one last time,

"Done. Go."

I leaned over to give her a quick peck on the cheek and then took off after my bandmates, trying like hell not to worry about what was in store for me later that evening.

-----------------------------------

I stopped in front of Em's house and put my truck into park. I looked down at my outfit. I changed at least six times, finally settling on a pair of black jeans, a navy blue button down shirt and a black blazer. I looked like a douchebag. I should have gone with just jeans and a t-shirt. But I wanted to look like I had tried.

I walked to the front door and leaned over to ring the doorbell. My heart landed in my feet when the door opened.

She was standing on the other side, looking breathtakingly beautiful as usual. I smiled weakly, handing her a single rose,

"Hi."

She looked down at it before she took it and lifted it to her nose. Her eyes closed as she took in a breath before opening again and focusing on me,

"Thanks." She said softly, biting her lip, "C'mon in."

When I walked into the house, I instantly smelled the distinct aroma of garlic. I raised my eyebrows and turned to look at her,

"You cooked?"

She nodded,

"I did. I've been working on it all day."

I swallowed. Hard. The last time Emily cooked we spent the day in bed taking turns in the bathroom.

"Don't worry, I read instructions and did everything exactly right."