Chapter 22

I said goodbye to my children, asking Lucy to please make sure to take care of her brother, and I left Niall's house. I went home after a quick stop at the store for all the ingredients I'd need for dinner.

Once I got home, I got everything started. Tonight had to be perfect. I didn't want her to be apprehensive or feel awkward about anything. Contrary to what it sounds like, I was not trying to get her into bed. If that happened, I would be ecstatic, don't get me wrong...but that wasn't my end goal.

My end goal was cracking her defenses finally. Getting back into her heart. Making her feel as comfortable with me as she had before. So the next time Diana asked her if she was in love with me, she could answer yes without the disdain in her voice when she said it. She could feel proud to love me.

I was just finishing the buttons on my shirt when I heard the clack of a pair of heels on my hardwoods. I poked my head out of the door and glanced around. She walked past me in a dark grey short dress and red heels. She turned her head to see me, shaking it with disapproval,

"Harry, you really need to lock your door."
I emerged from the room, drinking her in from head to toe as I walked towards her,

"All the way out here? No one's coming out to cow country to rob me." I slid my hands onto her hips and kissed her forehead, "You look quite marvelous right now."

She blushed a bit,

"Thanks. I didn't know where we were going so I figured this dress was a safe bet."

I quirked my brows,

"Safe bet? Well if by safe bet you mean absolutely stunning then yes. It's a safe bet." I gestured to the kitchen, "And we're not going anywhere."

She glanced around the doorway into the kitchen where the table was set for two with candles burning,

"You made dinner?"

"I did. If I remember correctly you used to love it when I made spaghetti."

She glanced back at me,

"I'm impressed." She sounded a bit surprised.

"You said you wanted to be alone. I can't think of a single place where we would be more alone than this house."

She lifted herself onto her tiptoes to kiss my cheek,

"I feel like sometimes you hear me when no one else does."

She turned and walked into the kitchen which was probably good because I couldn't wipe the smile off my face if I tried.

Dinner was great. The conversation was even better. The wine made us both a little tipsy but nothing major. I took her plate from the table to the sink and turned to smile at her,

"Interesting innit?"

"What's that?" She asked as she stood to join me.

"Us being close again." I covered her hand with mine as I took a step closer to her, my body now flush up against hers, "I feel like we're in an even better place than we were before."

She took a sip of her wine, looking up at me through her lashes. She pulled the glass down from her lips. I watched as her tongue dragged along her bottom lip. Her mouth curved into a sexy little smile I had never seen before,

"Did you have any doubt?"

I tried to pull my attention from the way her mouth bowed when she spoke. How her lips curled around her teeth. The way her tongue could be seen hiding behind them. I don't think I'd ever noticed that before, but I was now and it was intoxicating.