The Expirement

TANNER:

"Where are we going again?" Carthridge asked me.  I sighed and shot him a look, which he was to busy texting to receive. "We are going to David's house.  Do you need me to spell it out for you?  Or can you not read too?"

"Jesus, Tanner!  There's no need for you to get your panties in a bunch." Carthridge laughed, tucking his phone in his pocket.

"That was the third time you asked, though." I said, turning onto David's street.  You couldn't miss this road, even if you tried.  All of the houses were huge, and were separated by even bigger lawns.

"Dude, relax.  Why are we going to Hammerstein's place anyway?" Carthridge asked, turning up the radio.

"He want our help with some project he's been working on." I shrugged, not knowing exactly why we were going there either.

"He's the only guy I know who does work on summer vacation." Carthridge shook his head. "And it's not even that either!  It's the fact that this is our last summer before we all head to college."

"Well, David's a hard-working guy.  He's going to some ivy-league school, so it might even be required." I said, pulling into David's driveway.

"This is Hammerstein's house?" Carthridge asked, his jaw dropping to the floor.  I just shook my head and smiled at Carthridge's face. "I mean, I knew he was rich, but not Kennedy rich." 

"Yeah, his parents are like neuroscientists, or neurologists, or something like that." I shrugged, pretending that I wasn't still impressed with David. though we've been friends since 3rd grade.  David was crazy rich, though!  His house was one of those colonial houses with columns, and brick, and all that shit.  We went to the front door and rang the door bell.  David answered almost right away.

"You guys are early." David smiled at us. "That's surprising."

"Good to see you too, David." I smiled, walking into his house.  

"Wow, Hammerstein.  If I knew you had a house like this I would've became friends with you sooner." Carthridge joked. "I mean, imagine the parties we could've had!" Carthridge pulled David under one of his arms and stuck his other arm out, as he looked around the house.  I'm guessing he was actually visualizing the parties.

"Yeah, I'm sure." David said blandly.  David was never much of a partier, more of the type to stay at home and read the dictionary or something like that.

"So, David.  Why are we here?" I asked.

"Ah, yes." David nodded, pushing Carthridge's arm off of his shoulder. "Follow me, gentlemen."

We did as instructed and followed David through his massive house.  We walked up the staircase to the second floor, which was just as massive as the first floor.  We went all the way to the end of the hallway, and David opened up a door to a spiral staircase.  We walked up that stair case and were finally in the right spot, a place I called the layer a.k.a. David's bedroom.

"Welcome to the layer, Carthridge." I smiled, patting my overwhelmed friend on the shoulder.  He was entire blown away by David's room, like I was when I first saw it.  At first glace it looked liked a massive heap of junk, but at second glace, you could tell that there was meaning to the madness.  Diagrams, charts, everything in a scientist's wet dream was in this room.

"Dude, you have issues." Carthridge said.  David and I both laughed at that.

"What make you say that?" David asked with a smirk.

"Well," Carthridge began to look around the room for a place to start. "First of all," he pointed to a large periodic table that David had hanging above his bed. "You have periodic table and a poster of Einstein hanging above your bed, whereas most young men -- like myself -- would have some hottie from Sports Illustrated." David just laughed at that.