Chapter 19

There was a piercing beeping coming from the bedside table. Peggy rolled over and smacked her alarm clock, turning it off. Another day at the S.S.R. with nothing to do. She climbed out of bed and put on her navy dress and blue heels. Grabbing her briefcase, she left the apartment still feeling like she was missing something.

She went to her office and set her stuff down, but not before stopping in to talk to Daniel. "Are you going to take the position?" He asked, standing up to greet her. Usually, this was custom when greeting people of status, and not a woman like herself. "I do believe so," she said with pride in her eyes. In a split second, he pulled her into a tight hug. It was so uncharacteristic of him to wear his heart on his sleeve like that. She returned the hug, though. "I'm proud of you, Peg," he said.

"I'm going out for lunch if you want to tag along," she offered. He smiled, and took her up on the offer.

Angie— Peggy's roommate, Dottie's coworker, and diner waitress— brought them their meal, all smiles. Neither of them could believe how great things were going at the S.S.R. It was quiet, and felt safe for once. The chiefs liked that, for it gave them some time to relax while the agents worked on small, simple cases. "These past few months have flown by. It feels like just yesterday we buried Jack," Peggy said, taking a sip of her Coca-Cola. "I know what you mean. I've been itching for a big case," Daniel replied. "Things just seem...different," Carter wondered aloud. She felt like she was missing something.

The diner still hustled around them, but it felt like things were in slow motion for the two chiefs. It felt like just days ago they buried their dear friend Jack, and now Peggy was Chief Carter eating lunch with Chief Sousa.

The future was ahead, though, and one can only hope for a good one. From the looks of it, things were going to turn out just fine. The sidewalks of New York City were always bustling, and things may only improve and grow stronger if they take some philosophy from the city streets. Great things were yet to come, like a magnificent storm brewing overhead. A storm that could bring both good and bad, depending on one's outlook. Innovation was afoot, however long it may take.