[4]

Chapter Four (edited June 2021)

Michael sucked on his binkie, his legs swinging back and forth in the air as he played with a set of toy keys. Derek walked in upside down, carrying an applesauce GoGo SqueeZ. Michael rolled onto his tummy so Derek was right side up. He made grabby hands at the applesauce, shifting up to his knees. Derek smiled, picking the boy up from the floor and settling on the couch with the boy in his lap.

"Hey, bub, I need to talk to you about something," Derek said softly. Michael looked up, smiling warm and open, a dob of applesauce clinging to his lower lip before his tongue swept out to catch it.

"I'm going back to work on Monday, but Stiles can't watch you this time, so I had to hire a babysitter," he said softly. Michael's tummy dropped. "He's very nice and he's going to take very good care of you, okay?" Derek asked. Michael frowned, his bottom lip jutting out.

"No Dee, stay," Michael cried, wrapping his arms around Derek's shoulders, fingers clenching tightly into his tee shirt. Derek sighed, rubbing Michael's back as he felt the boys tears soak into his shirt.

"I have to work, bub, we've had this talk, remember? I'll only be gone for a few hours a day," Derek assured. Michael shook his head, clinging to Derek tighter.

"Dee, no leave. Please!" Michael cried.

"I'm sorry bub. I wouldn't leave you if I didn't have to, but I need to work so that we can keep living in this nice house and so I can buy you all the yummy snacks you like," Derek said. Michael shook his head stubbornly.

"No, I be good, I promise. Dee no go. Dee stay with Mikey, no leave Mikey, please," Michael sobbed. Derek breathed out heavily, trying to hold his emotions together.

"You're always good for me, bub, and I know this is going to be hard for you, but you're so strong, Mikey. You're such a strong boy and you're going to have so much fun with your babysitter," Derek assured. Michael couldn't respond over his little sobs, and Derek didn't try to make him. He rubbed the boys back and pressed reassuring kisses to his head.

"I be good, Dee," Michael nodded after a few more minutes of crying. He pulled his face away from the man's neck with a sniffle, his face a mess of tears and a rosy flush.

"I know you will, bub." Derek gently brushed his tears away, kissing his forehead. Michael sniffled again, nodding decisively.

"How about we get a happy meal for dinner, huh? A happy meal and a cookie for dessert, does that sound good?" Derek asked, trying to get the devastated look off of Michael's face.

"Chicken nuggets?" Michael asked with a timid sniffle. Derek chuckled, handing Michael his binkie as he nodded.

"Of course, bub." Michael smiled, taking his binkie into his mouth as he leaned his head on his big brother's shoulder.