Chapter 18: Laurie

This is a little PG13 at the end. Nothing too bad though.

"So you must be Mitch."

I grab Scott's arm again, "yes, I am." She has scary piercing eyes even bluer than Scott's. I have trouble looking her into the eyes because of that.

After our waitress leads us to our table, we all sit down on separate chairs.

"So Mitch, tell me about yourself." Laurie says, making me immediately uncomfortable.

"Uhmm... What do you want to know?" What do I tell her when she asks me that?

"Like how did you grow up? What are your hobbies?" She shrugs. Maybe for other people this is easy to answer but it isn't for me.

"I grew up in a pack in Canada." I look at Scott for reassurance. Does he expect me to tell my whole life story to her?

"Okay? That's it?" Laurie frowns at me.

"Laurie." Scott's voice isn't dangerous but it is a warning for her to stop.

"What? Is it wrong of me to want to know him a little better?" She hisses. Apparently she didn't get the warning. I shrink back in my seat. I knew this was not going to end well. No one in Scott's family likes me. Actually it's their loss! I didn't do anything wrong.

"Tell me about you then." I say surprising both Laurie and Scott. "What? Is it wrong of me to want to know the sister of my mate better?" I ask innocently.

"I live in Washington, I have a husband, Anthony, and a son, Ian. Anthony is the beta in the pack and I just help out with papers and stuff like that. My hobbies are playing tennis and I run track." She leans forward putting her elbows on the table giving me a small smile.

"You really want to know about me or do you just ask because you feel like you have to?" If she really wants to know I'll tell her. She's my future sister-in-law. She's going to find out anyway.

She laughs shortly, "I really want to know." Her scary blue eyes focus on me. She has a sort of smug expression on her face.

"I'll tell you the short version. My pack and family were murdered when I was 10 and then I was captured by the murderers for 2 years, then I went rogue for 7 years. I was in the cells before Scott got me out." I say.

Her eyes widen, her smug expression changing into something that looks like, I don't know, pity? I'm not that good at reading people.

"Look Mitch, I'm sorry if we started of on the wrong foot, but I'm just looking out for my younger brother. He's been through a lot and he deserves the best." She grabs Scott's hand, smiling at him.

"I know. It's okay." I get it. She was just trying to protect her brother, and it's not like she was mean or something.

The rest of the dinner went by pretty smooth. We just talked about small things and nothing too serious. Laurie was actually a nice and pleasant person to talk to.

We drove back home with the three of us in Scott's car. Scott was driving and Laurie and me are sitting in the backseat.

"Can I ask you a question about your former pack?" Laurie asks me. My eyes snap up to meet hers. I knew this was coming, people are always curious. "It's okay if you don't want to talk about it though."