Chapter 19

I wake up from nap to the sound of my phone vibrating. I unlock my phone to see a message from Jaime.

J: Hey we should hang out today.

A: Yeah true, you wanna come to my house or me to yours?

J: Come to mine, but first we should stop at the park first, you need to have some fun.

A: OK...let me tell my parents where I'm going then I'm on my way.

J: OK.

I walk downstairs to see my parents watching TV.

"Hey can I go to the park and hang out with Jaime?"

"Yeah, totally go have fun," my mom says.

"Thanks." I get my headphones and walk out the door. I put my headphones in and scroll through my playlist and finally decide on Cheat Codes by Jack and Jack. I start to vibe out and just don't care who sees. This is the best I've felt since I got out of the hospital. Music always makes me feel better, no matter what mood I'm in.

My head starts to tingle as I walk down the sidewalk to the park. Have I done this recently? I can't remember, but as I get up the hill, I see Jaime and someone else, Sam. I wonder what he's doing with her. I walk up to them and the questions begin.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" Sam asks first.

"I'm doing good, how about you?" I ask politely.

"I'm good too."

"What are you both doing here, I just thought it was going to be us," I ask, hopefully not as rude as it sounded.

"Well, we thought we should hang out and see if we can get some good memories back," Jaime said.

"So this was your idea?" I ask.

"Yeah, please don't be mad," she says.

"I'm not, I just didn't expect this."

"So are you feeling anything?" Sam asked.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Some say a tingle or what may feel like a headache," he says while taking my hand.

"I felt a tingle walking to the park, I just couldn't remember anything then," I say, looking at Jaime.

"That's good," she says.

"Can I try something?" Sam asks with pleading eyes.

"Um, sure I guess," I say skeptically.

As I say that, Sam leans in and kisses me on the lips. I was surprised at first, but then I responded within seconds. Our lips were in sync once again and I fell into the kiss. Before I knew what I was doing, my fingers had found their way into Sam's hair and were pulling as his hand found my back. He pulled me closer but before anything else happened, I heard Jaime clear her throat loudly. I pulled away with a huge blush splayed across my face. Before Jaime could say anything, I felt this terrible pain in my head. I put my hands over my head and leaned my head into Jaime's lap. I can't tell you how much this hurt, but as the pain was starting to go away, I felt a better sense of recognition as I looked up at Sam who looked a little terrified at the moment.

"Are you OK?" he asked quietly.

"I am now," I say as I scoot back over to him and kiss him with more force than I intended.

"What happened? Are you feeling OK?" Jaime asked as I pulled away from the kiss.

"Yeah, I think so. Oh, while I'm at it," I turned toward Sam and slapped him across the face. Not too hard but hard enough for him to look confused.