Chapter two

"Hey Daffy," Dad greeted as I got in the car. "Hi dad." I plop my ballet bag on the floor and buckle my seat belt. Ballet lessons had just finished, and I was really sore. My black leotard was trapping all the heat inside and I was ready to get out of it. As we drove, I noticed something odd. My dad usually sang loudly to whatever song was playing on the radio, but today he was silent. His face was set in a grim expression and he kept looking over at me. Raven growled with unease. "Dad?" "Hm?" "Is something wrong?" I ask. He sighed deeply. "Hon. . . You know that the prince is looking for his mate right?" "Uh yeah?" Where is this going? I wondered. He sighed again. "You know what, I'll just show you when we get home." "Ok. . ." We drove in complete silence. Raven whimpered. "What's going on Winter?!" "I don't know!" I answer, feeling completely helpless. When we got home I noticed a letter on the counter with the royal crest. "Dad?" I turn to him. "Why is there a letter with the royal crest on it?" He didn't answer. He was looking at his feet. "Dad?!" Slowly he looked up, tears in his eyes. "I'm sorry Winter," He said softly. "I know how much you hate these things. But it's not so bad. It's possible you aren't even the one." "No." I gasp, pieces clicking into place. "No. . . No, No, NO!" I grab the letter and tear it open.

Dear Winter Leaves,

You have been chosen to participate in the selection in finding the prince's mate. You along with forty nine other girls will get a chance to be the future queen/Luna of the werewolves. The selection starts May 12th. A driver will come to pick you up and drive you to the airport where you will be delivered to the palace. Remember, that you may be eliminated and sent home at anytime.

Congratulations,
The king of werewolves

No. . . No. . . NO! I let the letter fall out of my hands and float to the floor. I sink to the floor myself, head in hands. "Winter. . ." My father placed a hand on my shoulder. "It'll be alright. It's you out of fifty other girls. I'm sure you will not be chosen." I can barely hear him. There's a pounding in my chest so loud that I could barely think. May 12th was TOMORROW! "Winter. It will be ok." Raven comforted. "Your father's right. So what if you were chosen to be one of the fifty girls? There are forty nine other girls to be chosen as his mate! You'll be fine!" I know what she's saying is true. Slowly my heart calms down. "That's a good girl." Raven said. "Wait a second. Raven?"
"Yes?" "What if you do find your mate?" "You mean our mate?" Raven corrected. "No. I mean YOUR mate." I insist. "I don't want a mate. You do." Raven remained silent. "Raven. Promise me that even if you do find your mate, you won't make me stay." "I don't think I can promise you that." Raven said quietly. "Raven! This MY choice!" I tell her angrily. "Let me rephrase this. If you force me to stay because you found your mate, I'll kill myself."

I hear Raven gasp. "Winter!" She said, stunned. "You can't mean that!" "I do!" "Come on Winter!" "We'll find our mate eventually"- "Exactly!" I interrupted her. "Eventually we'll find our mate. And when I agree to it, we will be mates. But not a minute before!" "Winter, you're being so childish!" Raven barked, annoyed. "You will not actually take your life!" "Oh really?" "Y-yes." I could hear doubt in Raven's voice. She knew how stubborn I was, and if I said I would do something important, I'd do it. After a long time of silence Raven finally answered. "Fine!" She spat. "Fine, I'll go along with it! I promise that even if I find OUR mate I will not force you to be with him." "Thank you." I say. I don't hear her answer which meant she had went to wherever it is she goes when I annoy her. Slowly I stand up and turn to my father. He looked a little shaken and worried. I didn't want him to be upset, so I smile a little. "Don't worry dad. I'm going to come right back." He relaxed a bit and returned my smile. "Of course sweetie. I'm going to go get your sisters from daycare and pick up some comfort food. You should go and tell your friends." I nod and run upstairs to my room. When I get there I make a mad dive for my phone and call Patty. After a few tortuous seconds, she picked up.