Prologue

Silver clashed with black. . . Green was dyed with red. . . Howls of pain and grief ripped through the night. . . And one word muttered over and over again. . . .

Mine.

My eyes snapped open and I shot up, panting. "Mama, papa!" I cried, a cold sweat covering my skin. The door of my room banged open, and a woman with black hair and brown skin rushed in looking very disturbed. "What is it is, what's going on?!" She yelled, looking around. When she saw I was alone, her eyes softened. She sighed and switched on the lights. "You had the dream again?" She asked, sitting on my bed. I nuzzled my head into her side and nodded, tears falling down my cheek. "It's ok Winter." She cooed, stroking my hair. It's alright. "Why?!" I chocked. "Why do I keep having that dream, mama? Why?" "I don't know, dear." Ever since my fifth birthday I've been having a reoccurring dream. My door burst open and a man with peach skin and brown hair ran in, wielding a baseball bat. "Papa!" He looked around at the sound of my voice. When he saw what was going on, he sighed as well. "Let me guess, the dream?" I nod. He rubbed the back of his neck and placed the bat down. "What took so long, if I might ask?" Mama asked papa, looking amused. "If you must know I was in the bathroom." He replied. "Then I had to find a weapon." "Tuesday it was a broom." Mama said. "Yesterday it was a lamp." I add. "Last week you grabbed the TV remote." Mama remarked. "Ok ok, I get it." He said, holding up his hands and smiling. "But at least it was a actually a weapon this time." I giggle. "Why don't you just use wolf, daddy?" I ask. I had seen my parents turn into wolves before. He shrugged. "When I hear you scream I think of that. But I think that if a giant gray wolf was to run in your room, you might get more scared." "When will I be a wolf?" I whine. "I wanna be wolf like mama and daddy!" "You will soon." Mama promised. "But now you must sleep." She pulled back my covers and helped me snuggle in. "There." She said, planting a kiss on my check. "Now go to sleep Winter." She turned out the lights. "Mama? Papa?" I whisper. "What is it?" Papa asked. "Will the dreams stop?" A silence filled the room. "Just go to sleep, Babe." Mama said finally. "You need to rest. And I promise. . . .

"You will never have a bad dream
again."