Chapter fifteen

"YEOW!" I yelped as the maid pulled my dress's lacings tight. "I can't breathe! Please stop!" I feel her loosen her grip on the lacings and exhale in relief- at least I try too. There's not exactly a lot of breathing room in this torture device people call a dress. I mean come on people, I'm not a sausage!! You can't just stuff me into something that has the waistline of a three year old! Please, have mercy on my body! While the other maid set to work yanking at my hair, I try to strategize a plan for the prince NOT to notice me. So far I've just seem to piss him off which is good, but now that I thought about it, it'd be even better if he forgot I existed. What's more likely to be sent home then an annoying person? A person that's not even worth remembering. So maybe if I just fade into the background I'll be sent home this week. Just don't stand out and be sure to get everything wrong.

"I hate that plan," Raven input, reappearing in my mind. "Your complaint has been dually noticed." I respond sarcastically, prompting a growl from her. "Your being unreasonable Winter!" She huffed, anger obvious in her voice. "Your not even giving him a chance! How do you know you don't love him if you don't even try to get to know him?!" "Because I don't want too!" I shoot back, annoyed. "I'm not ready to be in a relationship, much less with the prince! I don't need that kind of stress! All I want in life is to eat food and learn ballet, is that really so much to ask?!" "It is when your mate is longing for you and needs your support! What about him? He must be under a lot of stress too! He's becoming king in a year and needs a strong Queen by his side! He needs the one he loves most! He needs his MATE!!"

"WELL WHAT ABOUT ME?!?!!" I scream back at her, clenching my teeth. I wasn't sure if it was to keep from yelling in anger or from bursting out crying. "What about MY goals?! What about MY aspirations?! What about MY plans for MY future?!" At this Raven was stunned into silence. I grit my teeth and look away from the mirror the maid had placed in front of me. I don't want my life to end just because of some stupid mate. I don't want to give up all my hopes for my future just because it was convenient for someone else. It's my life. I should have control over what happens to me in MY future shouldn't I? Truthfully, I don't hate Loëk. It's not that I dislike him or anything, and it's nothing personal. I'm sure he'll make a great mate to someone, but that someone just isn't me. I don't want to be queen. That life isn't for me, and it's not what I want. I've never dreamed of being a princess, even when I was a little girl. I wanted to be a ballerina. I've always admired their seemingly angelic way of moving, the way they danced as if the laws of gravity didn't apply to them.

And. . . The way they could express exactly how they feel without so much as a word. . . The way they can paint stories. . . I loved that. It's beautiful to me. My plans for the future was to dance. I want to dance. I want to become a prima ballerina and move as gracefully as they do. That's why I can't marry Loëk. I have my own goals I want to fulfill, no matter what. Even if it does mean I'm mateless. The maid finished with my hair and held up the mirror again for me to see. My hair was styled so my wild curls were pinned back by gold barrettes, giving it a slightly sleek look. However, despite the amount of hairspray they applied I doubt my curls will stay down. Most likely they'll just puff out again, making it look like the barrettes were drowning in them, but whatever. I don't really care that much in the first place.

My dress's style today was tight at the chest and waist but flared out into a puffed skirt that stopped in flounces at the knee. The fabric was a kind of sheer midnight blue with white ruffles and long sleeves. I turned to look at the dress from different angles in the mirror. It reminded me a bit of a ballerina's costume, so I suppose it's ok. The maids nodded to each other then packed up and started to leave. "Wait hold on," I call, confused by their sudden retreat. "Why am I dressed up like this? What's happening?" One of the maids stopped and looked at me. "Nothing miss. We are just here to dress you. All the Selected are being dressed. It's to prepare the future queen for the outfits she'll have to wear daily." With that she turned and left, the other maid trailing behind her. Wait. So I have to wear this thing FOR NOTHING?! OH COME ON!!

(YES HI ITS ME PEOPLE. I'M SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING. I'M GOING TO TRY TO UPDATE MORE. I AM SORRY.)