Chapter 8

Finally it was Friday. Only two more weeks until Christmas break. I still have to get Jamie a present. I already got my parents and Connor something, although I am considering not giving him his gift due to his recent actions. I was downstairs waiting for Jamie to arrive when I heard a bump in the attic; at least I thought it was the attic. I immediately grabbed my bag and waited outside. Jamie arrived and gave me a look.

"I thought I heard something, probably just paranoid." I said as I got in the car.

            The car ride was silent. I didn’t know what to say. My wrist was wrapped and I was being very careful not to use it or hit it against anything. Jamie looked fine, the cuts really did heal. I could have sworn they were deeper…but then again I was half conscious. There was a scare on his face, it wasn’t too bad though. At school Jamie stayed by my side and looked nervous. It looked as if he expected someone to attack me at any moment. At lunch Landon came over and sat with us. Jamie tensed, and looked angry. Landon didn’t like Jamie's reaction.

"Hey Landon." I said quietly.

"Hey, what you guys up to?"

"Nothing just hanging out. You know the normal." I replied.

"I heard that a wolf got in your house? Is that true?" Landon asked.

"Um…yeah, a wolf. It was pretty scary."

"Looks like you didn’t get too hurt." Landon said looking at my wrist painfully.

"Yeah, Jamie saved me, like he always does." I said smiling. Jamie smiled at that.

"That animal shouldn’t be back anytime soon." Jamie added.

"I bet it didn’t mean to hurt her." Landon said.

"And me? Did it mean to hurt me?" Jamie asked harshly.  

 "Well, it felt threatened so it attacked. You just made it worse." Landon said.

"She could have died without me. Do not tell me I made it worse." Jamie said getting up about to leave, but then glanced back at me then to Landon, and sat back down.

"We will see you later Landon, we are going to be late for a meeting." I said getting up. Landon looked angry and disappointed.

            I walked away feeling bad, but Jamie obviously was hurting. I didn’t want him to be angry, and if Landon made him feel that way I would have to hang with Landon on my own time. Jamie seemed to relax once we were away from Landon. I wanted to ask why they didn’t like each other but I figured that Jamie would tell me when and if he was ready to. When we got to my house that afternoon Jamie looked distracted. We were in my room when I just had to ask if he was okay.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, just distracted… Want to play that game where we tell each other stuff we don't know?"

"Sure." I replied.

"Okay, you first. And Poppy, you can tell me anything, you know that right?"

"Yeah, of course I do." I said not sure what he was getting at.

"Okay, I, well there is this secret…but no one knows. I haven’t told you because I was afraid of what you would think."

"I will always be by your side. I'm not going to judge you."

"You will think I am crazy though…" I said unsure whether I should really tell him.

"I won't trust me, if you tell me I will tell you something that you will be shocked over as well." Jamie said.