Chapter 12

I awoke with a pounding headache. I looked around and no one was downstairs yet it was late in the morning. I was late for school! I got up and rushed to my room but the door was locked. I looked around noticing that no one was around. I went into each room and I found no one. Miranda wasn’t even here. I grabbed the phone and dialed Connor's number.

"Poppy?"

"Hey where is everyone? I am late for school!" I said.

"Poppy you were excused from school today. Mom and Dad are going to…special counseling. A spirit is trying to help them with the shock…it's not going too well. Are you okay though?"

"Um…I am lonely, scared, and I just don't want to be alone."

"Okay, I will get there as soon as I can…in the mean time I'll call Jamie…or do you want me too?"

"No, I can't see him like this. I am a wreck. I don't want him to be hurt when he sees me."

"Then who do you want?"

"Miranda? I don't know!"

"Miranda is here helping mom and dad accept the truth…look, I will be there as soon as I can, just watch a movie or something. And don't try to kill yourself…maybe I should just come home now…"

"No! I am fine. I will be fine." I said then hung up.

            I looked around the empty house and didn’t know what to do. I wanted to be with Jamie, but I couldn’t let him see me like this… although he is the one who saved me…he has seen me at my worst. I just didn’t know what I would say to him. Do I love him? That was the question on my mind. I hope Connor will be okay, I mean he has to find Jamie and tell him he's being used. Is Jamie's father really that bad? I remembered Miranda warning Connor not to run into his father… Why do I feel so ignorant of what's going on around me? Why are there so many secrets? How long has Jamie loved me? I asked myself. I felt so isolated… If only I could drive…

            I went to the basement and brought up my bike. I pumped the tires and made sure it was safe to ride. The last thing I needed was an accident that people would think happened on purpose. I led it out to the drive way and got on. I rode off leaving my house in the distance behind me. I was heading to school. It wouldn’t take me too long. I loved to bike and the school was only about a ten minute car ride, and I knew a short cut. I parked my bike and apprehensively walked in. Looking at the clock I knew Jamie would be in French. The hall was empty as I walked towards French class. Apprehensively, once I was in front of the door, I opened the door and the teacher looked at me in shock along with Jamie. Jamie got up and then sat back down. I walked past the teacher and students to Jamie.

"Why is everyone staring at me?" I whispered bending down to Jamie.

"Because of stupid rumors…" Jamie said clenching his jaw.

"What rumors?" I asked innocently.

"Ms. Cutrone, can I be excused to take Poppy back home." Jamie said.

"Jamie! I am not going back home." I protested.

"Poppy, just come with me okay?" Jamie asked not waiting for the teacher to give permission for him to leave.

            Jamie grabbed his stuff and took my hand racing out of class. The teacher just stood there frozen. I was so confused by everyone's behavior.

"Poppy how did you get here?" Jamie asked making me look him in the eyes.

"I biked here." I replied.

"Why did you come here?"

"I didn’t know where else to go…mom and dad are with Miranda and Connor…Connor! He has to tell you something!" I said remembering that Connor had to find Jamie and let him know he was being used.