22

CARING STRANGER

Andy whistled to himself, hooking his work apron on one of the many hooks in the kitchen and waved a goodbye to his sleepy eyed workers

Andy whistled to himself, hooking his work apron on one of the many hooks in the kitchen and waved a goodbye to his sleepy eyed workers. "Have a great night everyone!" 

The cook chortled, appearing in the small partition. "We all know that was sarcastic, Andy. Stop gloating and just bugger off."

"Oh how your kindness warms my heart," he placed a hand on his chest, where his heart was. "Even though you are all highly entertaining, I unfortunately have to go home to my cosy bed and gorgeous girlfriend." 

"Yeah, sucks to be you," the cook muttered, her head vanishing from the partition. Other staff only smiled, accustomed to their shenanigans. Andy shouted a retort, for it only to be heard on deaf ears. Shrugging, he yelled a quick goodbye and walked outside. 

Warding himself against the cool summer night chill, he huddled in on himself, keeping his head down. The darkness seemed to stretch to the dawn of time, with the moon peeking its head at the earth, emitting dull rays. Andy could only just recognise the faint shape of his battered car in the distance, and casting a glance side to side he picked up his pace, terrified of what or who lingered in the shadows. 

His heart racing, he tucked his hands in his pockets, his car mere metres away. Andy had been used to the crippling fear of going outside every time he worked a late shift, yet he couldn't be picky, especially since he was saving up to buy his girlfriend a ring. 

He was nearly there when he felt the tip of his foot make contact with something, and he went plummeting to the earth. Letting out a surprised cry, he had no time to brace himself for the inevitable impact. It didn't come. 

Andy landed, his face scraping at the ground. His body had been oddly cushioned, and confused his hand left his pocket, slowly creeping up to what had shielded him from the ground. In an instant, his hand became extremely slick with something. His breath caught in his throat, and he pressed down. 

Flesh

Shocked, the man scrambled off of the body. He fell into a patch of murky light, it reflecting the colour of his hand into his eyes. There was blood on his hands. 

Fumbling for his phone, he grappled to tap the numbers in. The screen became sticky with the persons blood, but he didn't care as he lifted it to his ear, holding it up by supporting it with his shoulder. 

Ring. 

He reached for their neck, gently moving dark strands of hair out of the way. Gently, he applied a light pressure to their neck, searching for a pulse. 

Ring. 

A faint heart beat answered his prying fingers. Not realising he'd been holding his breath, he sighed, feeling his shoulders slump slightly. 

"Hello, what's your emergency?" 

"Um, hi," Andy stuttered, distracted. He turned their body over with his free hand to analyse the damage that had been caused. "I need an ambulance, I just found someone in the parking lot half dead."