24

HOW NOT TO FALL APART

Dean Winchester sat beside Ebony's bedside, his head leaning against his hand

Dean Winchester sat beside Ebony's bedside, his head leaning against his hand. He watched silently as her chest rose and fell, his eyes flitting towards the heart monitor every now and then to check that her heart was still pumping, was still beating life into her corpse like body. Rubbing at his eyes, he lent back in his chair, stretching like a cat. A small yawn escaped him, but he quickly silenced it. 

He needed to stay awake. To know that she was okay. 

The exhausted man glanced at his watch, seeing the second hand spin relentlessly. He wondered what it must be like, being forced to always be moving but watch others walk steadily through life whilst you're running a marathon every day - he realised that he had too much experience with this. Sighing, Dean lent on the bars of Ebony's hospital bed, letting out a small smile. 

"It's so weird that a few weeks ago, I would've laughed if someone told me that I'd be worried about a crazy lunatic. I would've laughed so hard that beer would've squirted from my nose, and I'd just shrug it off, thinking that maybe that person had had one too many drinks that night." Dean chuckled lightly, his shoulders shaking. "But hey, I guess life is spontaneous, and likes to throw the jokes in your face and make them something other than the punch line. I know that Cas said that I needed to be wary of you, yet I can't help but look at you and see this kid who's suffered too much for her age. He's been wrong before, so why can't you be an exception?" 

The sound of the door opening killed his words, and Dean quickly pushed himself off of the bed. Tendrils of bitter coffee drifted into his nostrils, and he slapped a grin on his face and clapped his hands together. "Have I told you that you're the best brother anyone could ever ask for?" 

Sam's six foot frame dominated the door, his large hands carrying two cups of steaming coffee. The smell of coffee counteracted the stinging smell of cleanliness and bleach. Smirking, the younger brother shook his head, striding towards Dean and passing him his coffee. "No sugar, no milk. Just plain black." 

Slurping from his Styrofoam cup, Dean cheekily replied. "Just like my soul." 

"That's not funny." 

Rolling his eyes, Dean relaxed back into his wooden chair as much as comfort allowed. Which wasn't much. "Don't be so touchy, jeez." 

"I'm not being touchy!" 

"Still touchy."

Taking in a large breath, Sam ignored Dean and pulled a chair closer to Ebony. "Is she okay?" 

Smacking his lips together to relish the bitter flavour of the coffee, Dean sarcastically answered. "Oh, let me use my telepathic powers to contact her to ask her if she's okay." He paused, pressing his fingers to his temples, humming and eyes focused on something other than Sam. "She says ask a doctor, nimrod."