15. Choices ~Liam~

I walked over to Ella, decked out in her beautiful dress and unfeelingly held her and to dance. We swept out onto the floor as she smiled up at me, but I wasn't thinking about that. My thoughts wandered to the night before.

"I want to marry who I wish to marry!"

"You will not defy orders from your queen," Mother said calmly.

"You are my mother!" I said.

"How does that make me less of a queen to you?"

"I saw a girl! It was true love!" I said.

Mother raised her voice, and I saw in her eyes what I had saw when the king had described her. "You will marry Ella. You will. And I will not allow you to talk to me like that again. Ever."

"This is a great ball you have," Ella said.

"Uh, thanks," I replied, not sure how to respond.

I noticed the crown growing around us, including Lyn, the girl I had left. My heart rebelled, and I fought the urge to leave Ella.

I could hear each heartbeat pounding in my head.

What to do?

The kingdom.

True love.

A choice.

The danger.

Mother could kill.

Mother could kill my wife.

I marry Lyn. My family in danger.

Ella in danger.

Lyn in danger.

Father in danger.

What to do?

"I see your first dance is going well," Mother said, but the way she said it, it sounded more like a threat. The dance goes well and your father and you live.

"My first dance is going quite well, though I am thinking of giving another young lady a dance after this one," I said.

Mother's turned dark and cold. She had used this glare, this threat to control me so many times, but not this time. She could not decide this.

I held her gaze.

Seconds ticked by, before Mother said, "Well go along then. We'll sort this out. . . later."

I could hear blood rushing in my ears. The song was almost over. I had a choice to make, and as I stepped out into the ballroom, I knew my decision.

The last note rang out, and I said to Ella, "It has been very nice to meet you," before politely walking off to where I saw the other girl— my true love.