7. Slipper ~Lily~

Five more minutes of painful and terrifying silence passed before the dark figure crept back into their room and lifted himself out the window. The bag he was carrying was not full. He appeared to have taken nothing.

Jessie and I made eye contact, and without speaking, we both rushed to Mother's room.

"Tell me again, did you see them steal anything?" Angus asked.

"No," Jessie said. "He didn't take anything that was big enough to see in the dark."

"Call Ella," Mother said.

Angus was just about to call, when she came rushing down the stairs, her face ashen.

"Father," she said. "They took it!"

"What, my dear?"

"The slippers. The glass slippers," she said.

Angus slumped into the chair.

"What?" Mother demanded.

"I mustn't trouble a lady like you with this," Angus replied.

"I own this house and all of its possessions just as you do. Don't expect me to stand down!" Mother shot back.

Angus wiped his brow as if his words tired him. "We inherited some beautiful glass slippers. It is said that they were made by a fairy. These slippers — they are the source of our wealth."

"You're saying—" Mother said, her words crumbling with dread.

"We have almost no money now."

"Wait, wait, wait," I said. "What idiot puts all of their money in one glass slipper?"

"Don't call your father that," Mother warned.

"It's true! Couldn't you have sold it and hid the money under the couch cushions or something?"

"It's not that simple," Angus said.

"How? How is it not that simple?" I asked.

"Calm down, Lily," Mom said. "We have not been completely honest with you either."

"Mother, please," I pleaded, but she didn't even glance at me.

"We came here in search of a new start. My late husband used to make enough money for us to live rather comfortably, but not with such luxuries. When he passed away, we were about to have to sell our house when I saw you."Angus looked like he couldn't decide his facial expression: angry, bewildered, or denial like this was just some funny prank.

"We are poorer than you are right now. That is all that I have not told you," Mother said.

For a moment, no one in the room spoke.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Wasssssssssup guys, Here's where it all comes out, both families have big secrets, vote comment and follow!      XxDinithixX

Angelina Jolie as Lily and Jessie's mother :)