11. Preparations ~Liam~

Tighten it up around the collar and loosen it around the ribs," my mother said curtly to the seamstress, looking over my suit in the fitting room.

Mirrors lined the walls, and a draft blew in, ruffling the white curtains and cutting through the sweltering day. I tapped my foot on the carpet.

I could see nothing wrong with the suit, but Mother was a perfectionist to say the least. If I was to find a bride, she was to see me at my best and nothing less. Come to think of it, that was probably Mother's motto.

The best and nothing less.

That was her entirely.

"Liam, stiffen up so Maya can get a clear view," Mother said.

Maya looked helplessly at the queen. She was probably only a few years older than me, but her hands were calloused, and her eyes always had a weary, tired look. She always needed money for her big family, so whenever I needed a suit, I asked for her.

"So," Mother said, in that voice adults always use before they say something important, "what kind of girl are you looking for?"

"Well," I replied, "she should have good humor. She should also be strong in a way, but a fair leader too. I don't really want her to be too proper, but dignified in a way. She should listen to the peasants, and help them out without making herself seem too attached."

Mother looked at me with an unreadable expression. "I meant what you were looking for in her appearance," she said.

"Oh," I said, slightly embarrassed. "Well, I don't think I'm looking for anything in particular in that category."

"Liam, you can be truthful with me. I am your mother," Mother said.

I pursed my lips.

She waited for a second before saying, "Fine. I'll check in on the suit fitting in an hour, if you aren't done by then."

Mother swung open the heavy door, making a mirror rattle when it shut.

Maya looked up at me. "The ball seems like a big occasion," she said.

I nodded. I loved talking to Maya because she didn't address me as His Majesty or anything like that. It was like normally talking to someone.

"Are you going to be there?" I asked.

"No. I have a husband," she said.

"What? You're so young, though!" I exclaimed.

Maya shook her head. "Normally people like me marry at a young age. I've been married for a few years now. Your Mother is rushing to get you married early too."

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't know," Maya said. "Royal stuff makes no sense to me. Maybe she just wants to show off a princess or something."

I sighed. "Whatever."

"That looks very good, Maya," Mother said. "You are dismissed."

"Can I go back to my room, Mother?" I asked.

Mother sighed. "Your father has requested that you come and speak to him."

"Why?" I asked.

"I do not know myself. He said it was private," Mother replied.

I knew how much she hated Father talking to me alone. Father was Mother's puppet. She controlled him, she controlled the kingdom, and she didn't want me knowing anything more. I wanted to talk to Father, mostly out of curiosity.

Sighing, I walked out of the room and across the elaborate hall. Its floors were washed, and there were many windows, scrubbed clean too with expensive cloth draped over them. A chandelier hung above my head on the high ceilings. There were chandeliers everywhere in this castle, and I felt guilty looking at the crowded, bustling villages below. Some of their houses were half the size of Mother's room.

What would my bride think of me?

I was almost to the throne room, and I pushed the big door open to see Father sitting not on his throne, but on a chair. Another was out in front of him. For me.

I sat down.

"Son, you are marrying soon, as you are aware. When you are a prince, your marriage is final. Until death. You have one chance to find the person you will live your whole life with. As you know, I chose your mother, Janette Iver. She was a lovely young lady, so I let her into my heart, which was my mistake. I told her my secrets the day we married, and gave her my trust. When you were born, though, it all backfired," Father said.

"How?" I asked.

"She knew how to use me. She said she would kill you and blame it on death by a fever if I did not cooperate. I did the only thing I could I could: fulfill her wishes. Your Mother made many changes to the kingdom, none of which benefitted the people, none of which pleased me, but she had her leverage. I have grown to fear when she says she must be alone with you, because if I step a toe out of line, then you will pay with your own life."

Silence followed, broken by Mother's voice from outside the throne room.

"Liam, time for lessons with me!" 

_________________________________________________________________________

Waddup guys it's superwoman! (jk) Vote, comment and follow :P

Lilly Singh as Maya (Yay!)