21. King ~Lily~

It all matches up!" I said. "Remember all of those times when he was gone for various reasons? They always aligned with when the king would appear publicly. How else would he have the crown?"

"Maybe it's a replica," Jessie said.

"Then where would he have gotten it? An exact replica of the king's crown could cost nearly as much as the real thing," I said.

Mother pursed her lips. "I'm not convinced, Lily. It would be very unlikely that Angus is the king. I mean, a crown doesn't prove anything."

"But we need to get out of the house and find that crown! If the king isn't wearing his tomorrow, then we know that it's Angus!" I said.

"The king has a beard and different colored hair—"

"— that can all be drawn on and changed with dye," I said.

"Lil, you need to stop this. I'm still your mother, and you can't accuse my husband of that," she said.

"You just don't want to believe that he tricked you," I said.

"Enough, Lil," she said. "Go up to the attic, please. We need to talk sensibly about these things," she said.

"Your sending me to my room?" I said. "Now?""Yes. I am."

My face hardened with anger as I stomped up to the attic. It was dusty and I hated not being included at a time like this.

I needed to tell Liam and Ella and my mother and Jessie weren't going to stop me.