Ch.7

"Jade...what's wrong?" Jake asks. The black haired girl sat down on the edge of his bed and took his hands.

"We'll give you a bit of space," Dirk and party exit the room and stand in the hall. The blonde glaces through the window and stares at the two siblings. His ears on point as he listens in on their conversation, even though he knew that it was rightfully wrong.

"Now Jake...please...bare with me okay...?"

"I don't understand Jade what are you trying to say to me?"

"Jake..." her hands trembles in his as her held back tears slowly fell to his hand. She sniffles looking up at him. "I...I did all I could...Jake....g..grandma....she's.....she's gone..." her voice quivered with a slight squeak as her head hangs down allowing her black hair to flow down pass her shoulders. Jake held her hands tightly and felt his heart skip a beat. He bites his lip to keep from screaming out in agony as tears overflowed down his face. He pulls his sister into his arms and hugs her tightly. She buries her face into his shoulder and cries softly. Her tears of sorrow drenching the hospital gown and her grip loosely kept at his arms. Jake released his lips and takes a quick breath in only to let out a shortly timed scream.

Dirk covered his ears from outside the window and frowns. He knew exactly how they were feeling. Dave lifts a hand to his brothers shoulder and firmly grasps it.

"We need to give them more space...and time...." he says.

"Yeah..."

"W..we'll come by again okay? We were hoping to meet Jade...but...right now Jade is...preoccupied...and we shouldn't disturb them in their time of loss and sorrow," Rose states. The others agree and decided to leave for the day.

"Um excuse me...are you Dirk?" The brothers turned just as they were about to leave as Jade waves them over.

"Yeah...um..I..if you need...time alone it's okay.."

"No actually Jake only wants to see you," she says. His eyes widen in shock behind his shades as he slowly opens the door and walks in closing it behind him. He sits beside the bed and keeps his gaze low.

"Hey.....a..are you going to be okay?" He asks. Jake removes his glasses and sets them down as the tears kept pouring like a waterfall down his cheeks. He takes a deep breath and looks up to the blonde with a sad smile.

"Why do I feel like the bloody world...is just against me....? Dirk.....why?"

"Jake..." he frowns. "Dude.....it's not the end okay? The world isn't against you...in that way...it's the circle of life man...and your grandma...she's in a much better place where her new island will be filled with more than just the beasts and forests. She's never fully gone...she's always in here..." he lifts his hand and places a finger over his heart. "And here.." he then points to his forehead and gives a nod. "Your heart...where the love for your grandmother is....and your mind...where the memories of her lie.."

"H..how did..."

"I overheard...from outside....I'm sorry Jake....but take your time to grieve now...but dont let it hold you down..."

For a moment Jake goes silent and contemplates on the thought.

Dirk sighs, 'Time for a story then...' he sits on the edge of the bed and stares down.

"Me and Dave....when we were younger..our oldest Bro passed away. He didn't die in his sleep or because of illness.....he was killed. It was the most devastating thing to happen to us," he raises his head a bit. "But...we had to keep moving on and live.....our bro would kill us if we fucking gave up just because we thought the world was always cruel. He made us realize that...the world....it's cruel....but...it's also...beautiful and cool..." he says with a slight smile.

"Dirk...."

He turns to Jake and gives a thumbs up,"Everything will be alright Jake,"

His tears lessened and his face showed a more relief and satisfied expression. He chuckles a bit and smiles.

"You really are quite a catch Dirk....thank you for this..." he says.

The blonde nods and Pat's his head lightly. Jake lays comfortably against the hospital pillows and yawns just as his eyelids were close to shutting down for the night. Dirk watches as his best friend starts to give in to sleep.

"Dirk....?"

"Yes Jake?"

"...one...request...if...you don't mind...."

"Sure what is it?"

"...stay here.......please?" He says quietly. Dirk realizing this could be his chance to get what he needed, he takes his hand and pats it lightly.

"Of course you dork,"

The boy smiles at his best friend and finally falls asleep.

That evening Jake continued with his slumber while his sister decides to leave and head to her hotel for the night leaving her sibling in Dirk's care. Dirk's little bro heads home and Dirk stays at the hospital in Jake's room with his ass in a chair and his legs plastered up on another. He sighs as he checks the time knowing full well that he wasn't going to be able to sleep.

"Fuck.." he whispers to himself as he rubs his eyes with his fingertips. His eyes burning from their dry like state. He stands and walks around the room for a bit just to wind up staring out the window.

"Mmm...." he turns and sees Jake storing in bed. His eyes clenching tightly as he whimpers. Dirk frowns and makes his way over when Jake mutters, "Grandma....don't go..." the blonde sits beside the boy and lightly runs his hand through his hair.

"Jake...it's okay....she's okay....and will always be watching you," he says softly. Jake stirs a bit more to get comfortable in response and slowly relaxes. Dirk smiles as he watches the sleeping Brit's chest rise and fall at a normal rate. He really wanted to tell Jake how he felt, but with their differences in the way he was unsure if Jake would feel the same or feel completely disgusted. The blonde removes his hand from Jake's head and turns back to the window and sees the light of a full moon burst into the room. He sighs once more and che la the time only to realize that his actual mission still needed to be done. But he couldn't leave Jake. Not in this state. He curses and rubs his head just when a sudden wave of pain crashes into his stomach. He cringes and coughs falling to his knees.

"Not...now...dammit..." he coughs and takes in a quick breath as he heaves. He pulls out his phone quickly and dials Daves phone. Forcing himself off the floor, he holds onto the walls and only manages to make it to the doorway of the room when Dave answers.

"Dude....you realize what time it is right?" Dave says with a sigh.

"D..Dave...." Dirk whispers.

"Dirk?..."

"Dave..I.." his consciousness slips as he slides to the floor with blood slowly spilling from his lips.

"Dirk!"