Ch 3 - There Is No After

Kae woke up angry. When she remembered why, she decided to hang on to it just for a while. It would help her get through these next few days with a clear head, focused on her goals.

She walked up the narrow staircase from the basement suite of their little farmhouse and knocked on her sister's bedroom door.

"Hey, Diane. It's morning. You make the calls yet?"

"No," Her voice sounded dry, hoarse.

"Want me to?" she asked.

"Ya. Thanks." Her muffled voice softened. Diane slipped a piece of paper out from under the door.

Kae read the note. 'Clinic – take all days off still owed or maybe quit. Funeral home meeting – not today or tomorrow. Police – anything new? Gerald's mom....'

She noticed their own mother wasn't on the list and sighed. Regardless of how she and Diane parted after the last Christmas fiasco, she was still their mom. And wasn't family where charity started? Where forgiveness started, if it was possible.

As she picked up the receiver, Kae changed her mind about which order to call everyone in. She dialed the funeral home. She wanted them to be the ones to contact Gerald's family.

It would be hard enough on the Landover's without her being the one to deliver the message. Funeral home staff had experience breaking this kind of news. It might be a bad decision, but she couldn't bring herself to make that call.

Kae wondered if Diane would venture out today. Kae's own anger had already faded. That was the thing – keep busy and you won't have to face the pain. She nodded to herself. It sounded like a plan. At least for now.

As she listened to the answering machine, she took notes so Diane could read the responses herself. A lot of 'condolences on your loss.' Right now, they felt hollow, but someday they could be a comfort.

The last item on Diane's list and last call Kae was willing to make was to phone the police for an update. But on her terms. She knew someone who might talk. Well, maybe. Okay, not likely, but it would be a good way to reconnect.

She went to a small index card box in a kitchen drawer and fished out the business card Ted gave her when they first met in college. This would also be weird, but in a different way. She knew him from a course they both took in Modern Forensic Methodology a few years ago. Him for his job, her out of curiosity while working as a mortician's receptionist.

She wasn't good at body language, but he talked with her often enough that they almost seemed like friends.

"Hello, Ted, this is Kae Barrows."

There was a slight pause. "Oh, yes, Kae. What can I do for you?" She was sure she could hear him smiling on the other end.

"Um, are you the one looking into the car accident yesterday, with the frozen body?"

"I'm on the team, but I'm not at liberty to say anything," He laughed. "You know this, so why are you really calling?"

She paused. Really, she'd hoped he would be able to tell her they'd made progress, or had a break-through. Anything along those lines. With no other questions, she grabbed the first thought that came to mind. "There are too many questions. And Diane is really messed up. I... I need help."

"The hospital or funeral home should have given her a list of services she could use, like a grief counselor. That would be my suggestion. Do you have family around?" He paused. "I really can't tell you anything right now."

She sighed. "Let's meet up for coffee sometime, later. Once this settles down," Kae suggested, wondering why she always ended awkward moments with an offer to chat over coffee. "Or tea. You prefer tea."