Ch 29 - Approaching Normal

As Kae woke up, she kept her eyes shut. How long had Aiden been in the hospital now? Was it two days? She hadn't slept the first night, or the next day, even though Aiden was asleep that whole time. Ah well. She felt well-rested now.

As she opened her eyes, Aiden smiled at her, face only inches away. Lying next to her. He reached out and messed with her hair before backing up. She was dreaming, apparently.

"So this is what every morning for the rest of my life is going to look like, eh?" he whispered.

She was on top of the blankets on edge of his hospital bed.

"Sorry," she blushed, sitting up. "I couldn't sleep in the chair. I just wanted a short nap." Why had she climbed onto the bed? She inwardly winced.

He put a hand on her shoulder and lightly pushed for a moment.

"Stay," he smiled. "Rest. We both need it. Besides, it's still dark out. I won't need to see the doctor before discharge today and the nurse already knows you're here." He tapped the mattress. "She thinks it's cute, and beneficial."

Flustered, Kae lay back down, facing him.

"When did you want to get married?" he said.

"Pardon?" She almost sat up again.

"You proposed in the ambulance." He frowned, looking disappointed. "You don't remember?"

She thought back. "I told you to stay with me, as in, don't die."

"Ah, that's what you meant," he sighed.

"Mmhmm," she nodded.

"The doctor says I have to take it easy for the next couple days." He brushed a hand through her hair. "And this feels therapeutic to me. I wonder if he can prescribe hourly hugs until I'm completely recovered."

Kae blushed again, wishing it would stop. "Sounds more like a home remedy to me."

"I was hoping you'd say that."

"Don't get too excited. You're staying at my mom's place, for now. She has your room picked out and everything. And once your mother hears about your heroism, I'm sure she'll forgive you. You'll be back home in no time. If it wasn't for you, no one would have found that entrance."

"If it wasn't for me getting knocked out, drugged, and led into the mountains, you mean?"

"No, silly," she smiled. "You don't remember fighting them off on the side of the highway, or writing the license plate in the dirt there?"

He shook his head.

She reached out and touched his head where it was bleeding when she found him. To cover her concern, she ran her hand through his hair, thinking fair is fair. You like my hair. I can like yours too. "I'm just glad you're okay."

He took her hand in his. "Better than okay. But I have to ask – that night, at the club, was that real?"

Real? Oh, the kiss. "I wondered that myself. I mean, I could have just walked out. Or put him in an arm lock. Or any number of other options. But I didn't."

"That's true."

"I recognized something in your expression when you came back to the table."

"What was that?"

"Jealousy. And I was so scared I'd messed up somehow."

"Oh?"

Her heart was racing again as she contemplated her confession. "Maybe we should talk later. You need rest."