Ch 11 - Down By The River

Kae awoke to full daylight and a fully-formed plan. The sun being up so early confused her until she checked her clock and saw it was her schedule that was off. But her plan was brilliant. At least it felt that way.

As the folds of sleep dropped away, Kae reviewed her new list. She wanted to phone Gerald's co-workers herself, although that didn't work for Diane. Well, his supervisor more specifically, and anyone else who might shed light on final hours. And return to Line Lake to see what the locals were saying. Gossip revealed little truth, but in daylight, there might be something she missed.

Kae told Candice as much over breakfast, resulting in exchanged looks of concern and dismay. When Diane came in, they sat quiet a moment.

"You worry too much." Kae hid behind her tea, sipping and avoiding eye contact. They would not approve. "It's not like it's a dangerous area. I was thinking of Mattie and Harold Glen. This can't be easy on them."

"You need to let the police do their job." Candice scowled.

"You remember the police, they're the ones trained and paid solve crimes." Diane's tone was flat as she picked up her dishes and set them in the sink.

"Although you're right about the Glens. We should call." Candice said. "Invite them out, away from what is probably a gawker festival right now."

Kae held her tongue. No point in setting herself out for them to chew on, especially after the lashing she took last night. She finished her food and went to get her purse and jacket.

"You're going anyway?" Diane stood between her and the door.

"It's the right thing to do. And I have an idea." Kae's expression unintentionally tacked on 'but it's possibly crazy'.

"I know that look." Diane wagged a finger at her then grabbed up her own coat. "No."

"It's not risky or anything."

"With you, it's always risky."

"You're one to talk... or you were until you got married and 'settled' down." She shook her head, as if that wasn't what she wanted to say.

They continued talking as they walked to the truck. "But here's the idea. We don't agree that Gerald's death is suspicious. What if I go to camping at Line Lake for a couple days, see what the locals are saying? And we're overdue for a visit with Mattie and Harold. Your tent trailer is perfect for a short outing. No one will suspect a thing."

"I called them this morning. They're fine." Diane loved catching her off-guard.

"Ha! I knew you weren't backing off! Mattie's more likely to tell me the rumors than you though, since... well, you know."

"You know..." she mimicked Kae as they neared the truck. "If Gerald was murdered, I want the person who did it caught. But don't think for a minute I want you added to the body count so if you're going to Line Lake, you're on camera duty." Diane handed Kae's camera to her. "I'll do the talking."

"Funny we both came up with different variations of the same idea around the same time." Kae asked. "Why the change of heart?" This was exhausting, never knowing what Diane would be thinking next – to hunt, or to hide. Hopefully, she stabilized soon!

Diane's face went a little red and a corner of her mouth twitched. "When I got up, I went to your room to apologize for last night." She held her hands up. "But I saw the chart on your wall there. I get it now."

­Kae wasn't sure if she should be outraged or relieved, but because this path meant peace, she chose relief.

"Besides, if you're determined to do this, you'll need someone else around who can kick butt."