Ch 15 - Fire Starters

Today, surrounded by a stack of books in the city library, happy seemed easy. Really easy. Then she'd think of Aiden on an airplane traveling across oceans into the distant unknown. When they'd hugged goodbye, it felt too sudden. He'd held her close and she felt something inside that she hadn't anticipated – fear.

She shook her head. If she could just focus! René's research wouldn't take more than the day so it wasn't long before she faxed it all over, along with a note to call her if she could do anything else for him.

Not that she'd have time now. She stopped downtown to pick up some groceries and check the mail, but itched to get back to the ranch. Racing through the meat section, she pondered chicken prices. She overheard a couple older ladies gossiping. She didn't want to hear, but for some reason she inched her way closer.

Apparently, someone was connecting dots about Aiden's truck being at her house, and the only other person there being Kae. "No matter how long those kids have been friends, they never should have mixed." "Friends with benefits – that's what's going on there." "So that's why they had to move."

Kae's face flushed red. That would be a good rumor to nip in the bud, but saying something might give them more fuel. It made her stomach sour. Who would know, care or even see what vehicles were parked in her yard? They'd have to be watching with binoculars, for pity's sake. How bored were these women?

She left the store empty-handed, deciding she'd go back later... once she stopped being angry. Tomorrow.

Sam. This was a good time to go chat with Sam. He hated her anyway, so her hostility wouldn't bother him.

She walked into the newspaper's building, a run-down plaster thing with loads of character and tall ceilings. She intended to go to his office directly but as she neared she heard voices. She glanced back. There was no one at the reception desk. She pretended to be interested in a wall of awards and plaques on the nearby wall.

Words to the effect of, 'print that and I'll see that you personally expand the obituary section' made their meaning clear. Sam's voice, calmly saying that the truth never stays hidden, seemed to gag the angry person for a moment. Did she recognize the voice? Not really. She hid behind a shelf of books, perfectly situated so she could see who walked out without them seeing her. Never know when you need a witness.

But Sam did have a habit of pseudo-tabloid reporting. Not a habit, per se, but it had happened on more than one occasion. Selling papers, he'd say. That's the business. The other person came storming out, and slammed into the door as they left.

She didn't recognize the man, but she got a good enough look that she could describe him well enough. And the height bar on the door frame said he was six foot three inches. Kind of pretty tall. Heavyset, but not in a buff way.

A moment was all she took to gather her wits before gently knocking on Sam's office door. "Hey Sam, do you have a minute?"

"Did you see him?" Sam jumped to his feet. "Did you hear what he said? Please tell me you heard."

"Well, some of it. I heard the death threat."

"Good! No one doubts you'll tell the truth." He collapsed back into his chair. "Expletives deleted, Kae! What have you got me mixed up in?"

"What do you mean?"

"That man was from...." He rifled through the papers on his desk then pulled a three-inch yellow square of paper up. "He showed up after I left a message at Mira Caldecker's house. My message was simple – that whomever was going in and checking messages should call me so I can interview them about what happened."