Ch 22 - Learning

Kae's sleep was rough at best. Images of fire and faces swept through her dreams, grabbing and clawing at her. Near dawn she couldn't sleep. Barely five hours later, she was awake and glad to be. Her stomach rumbled and she pulled out a can of beans and checked the expiry date on the freeze dried meat stored under the seats.

She couldn't leave the ranch today. There was too much to do, too much to sort through. She wanted to get a look at what was left of the house. She needed her phone charger. It should be in her bedroom, in her nightstand.

A flash of anger hit her when she thought about Aiden being on the other side of the planet. He didn't have a choice, but she needed him here, now. Candice and Diane would be here soon, sure. But they weren't who she wanted to see.

Something had to be salvageable. She went to the barn and switched into her riding boots. They were taller and tougher than her runners. It was weird turning the door handle to her home, opening the door and walking into a disaster scene. There was no other way to say it.

Cautiously, she eased her way forward, grateful her bedroom was the first door on the left. Only half of it was left so she didn't bother with the door. She didn't hear the truck pull up, or the boots crunching on the gravel behind her.

"Kae." Someone said. It sounded like Aiden? Her imagination playing tricks, no doubt. She turned, ready to strike the intruder. But it was him. He walked over and wrapped her in a long hug. "Thank God you're okay."

"Wait, why are you here?" She wanted to push him away, but couldn't make herself.

"Your sister called."

"And you flew back from Korea, just like that?"

"No," he shrugged. "I was already on my way back."

"Is everything okay? Did your parents come too?" Kae needed a minute to sort her feelings about this. The shock mixed with excitement, relief, other emotions she wasn't ready to admit.

"It's a long story," he said. "I'll tell you later."

"Fine," she turned and walked away. She shut the door, pausing to wonder if she'd hallucinated. Did she miss him that much?

The door opened as he followed her in, looking puzzled.

"I suppose the civilized thing would be to offer you coffee." She said, moving to pull out the coffee percolator normally reserved for camping. Good thing Diane stored coffee too. "This is old-fashioned coffee. It's going to take some time."

"Stop," he said, walking over to her.

She bit her lip, not looking up. He put his hands on her shoulders, turning her to face him and ducked down to see her face.

"Kae," he pulled her into a light hug. "Talk to me."

Tears started to pool in her eyes. "I tried to call you, but the time zone thing was impossible."

"Same for me." Aiden said, rubbing her back.

She choked back her tears, not wanting to break down completely. He was back, and that made her happy. Deliriously happy. It didn't matter why. She wouldn't ask. He might take it the wrong way. And he said he'd explain later.

"Do they know what caused the fire?" he asked.

She moved away and sat, not entirely sure what to say. As things began to sink in, she stared at him. But why did he come back ahead of schedule? She shrugged the thought away. As she watched him, her tension evaporated.

"Hey," he leaned forward, crossing his arms on the table. "Talk to me."

She looked down at the table. She was close but still couldn't prove it was murder. She wasn't sure what to say.