Cute

As soon as Matthew got home from school he ran upstairs and threw his backpack onto his bed. He had been getting dress rehearsal updates from the cast's ridiculous snapchat stories on his walk home. Francis had posted some videos of him shoving the costumes he designed in peoples faces, Alfred had posted a video of himself jumping across the set, and Arthur had posted a picture of an incredibly stressed out Lovino writing on his clipboard. It seemed like the first hour of rehearsals had been a bit of a mess. 

"Matthew? Sweetheart!" Matthew heard his mother call from downstairs. Matthew  hadn't realized she was home. Alfred and Matthew's parents were usually on business trips and left the two at home, so when Matthew heard her voice he was a bit surprised. They must've flown back in excitement for Alfred's musical performance. 

Quickly running out his room and down the stairs, he noticed his mom cleaning some dishes in the kitchen. Running over to her, Matthew enveloped her in a hug. "Mom! Why didn't you tell me you were coming back?" he asked before pulling away.

"I thought I told you! We both flew back from Los Angeles to surprise your brother. I also wanted to see your beautiful artwork on the stage. You're like my little van Gogh." his mother said, smiling as she swiped a little curl out of Matthew's face. 

"Where's dad?" Matthew questioned, glancing at the empty first floor. 

"He went to the supermarket because it looked like you two were running low on food. I'm so sorry we're not always here to parent you. Only three more months until we return home for good!" his mom exclaimed, her face looking a bit guilty.

"Don't worry about it mom! We're pretty functional on our own. At least I am. I don't know about Alfred." Matthew joked, trying to comfort his obviously uncomfortable mother.

"You two are the best kids anyone could ask for. I love you guys." she said, placing a soft kiss on Matthew's forehead.

"Love you too mom. Now, I've gotta go upstairs and get ready for the play so I'll see you later." Matthew said, turning back around to go upstairs. 

"Oh, Matthew! We're leaving at six thirty so we can get good seats in the auditorium." his mother called out after him. Matthew's heart pounded a little harder as he froze on the stairs and turned back around to face his mother. 

"Actually I'm going with someone else if that's alright with you." Matthew spoke, his face slightly blushing as he faced his mother. 

"Ooooo, a date?" his mom asked, shooting Matthew a suggestive stare as he awkwardly leaned on the stair railing.

"Uh- no. J-just a friend. I'm going with Gilbert." Matthew lied, not wanting to tell his mom he was going on a date. He didn't know his mom and dad's stance on being gay, so he decided not to come out just yet. Plus, coming out to his parents was something he did not want to do by himself. He needed Alfred.

"Oh, Alfred's friend Gilbert? I'm glad to see you guys sharing friends!" his mom said enthusiastically. 

"Me too. Well I'll see you later mom! I have to get ready!" Matthew blurted, running up the stairs as quickly as he could to avoid any more worrying small talk. Shutting the door to his room, Matthew sighed. He really wished he didn't have to lie to his mother but he wasn't ready to admit he was going on a date with another boy.

Looking at himself in the mirror, he sighed. His hair looked a little frizzy and he had gym last period, so he definitely did not smell that good. Deciding to take a shower, Matthew grabbed a towel and made his way into the bathroom he and Alfred shared. After turning the water on and hopping in, Matthew washed his hair and sang along to some of the songs he had been hearing Alfred singing around the house. The soundtrack from the Sound of Music had been stuck in both of their heads since rehearsal started in September. Now it was November, and all you could hear around the house were the two brothers screaming show tunes at the top of their lungs.